Menu

ebay question - pricing of a large lot of clothing

I have a 30 piece lot that I am getting ready to post on eBay...I've done smaller lots before, but nothing this large. It includes play clothing that both of my girls wore, but is mostly dresses, because they LOVE dresses. All of it has wash wear and some has a bit of staining, but much of it is in very, very good shape, and all is clean and has lots of life left in it. All but about 5 of the items are Hanna Andersson, the rest are Nordstrom's kid's label, Ralph Lauren and Strasburg.

I generally understate the quality because people are, well, INSANE. It really is in good shape, but you know how people are.

I want the stuff gone, but I also want to make some money. What do you experienced eBayers think??? (I'm REALLY not trying to sell here. I won't provide a link...) Should I do Craig's List instead? Craig's list makes me nervous, though.

I always look at the completed listings of similar items to see how much they usually sell for, and base my price on that. Then I use the buy it now or best offer option; so that even if I don't get quite as much as I asked for, I can decide whether or not to sell for a lower price (instead of the item not selling at all).

I'd do eBay but definitely not Craig's List. For items such as you describe, eBay will probably bring in your best price. Craig's List shoppers (at least the ones I've dealt with) are looking for something lower than garage sale prices. I'd do what hsmom3tn suggested... Look for completed listing for similar items and price in line with those. Having a Best Offer is a great idea.

Make sure you do you best to clean up the clothes, take some good pictures, and describe any defects. It's better to point out anything major on an article than it is lump then all together with a general description.

HTH,

Sue

I decided to reduce the size of the lot to 17 pieces, picking the best ones for eBay. I think I'll Craig's List or garage sale the more worn-out items rather than shipping a 20 pound box of stuff!! Looking at the closed auctions, the lots were much smaller and of higher quality. I think I could actually get a better result on eBay with higher quality and smaller lot size.

Set the price at the lowest you will take for it and allow the bids to go up on it. That is what I do. I hardly ever do "buy now" because I do have a hard time setting a price like that. Sometimes I am pleasantly surprised, but as long as I set the starting price at something I can tolerate, I am usually not disappointed.