Menu

'Tis a privilege to homeschool.

It's a beautiful, sunny 75 degrees here, so ds and I decided to knock off school early today. We went to our local Audubon Wildlife Care Center. Okay, so I am native resident, I have never been here before, and it's about 20 minutes from our house. We had a blast. Most of the resident raptors were out for an exhibition but we were fortunate enough to meet "Aristophanes", a common raven, who was hanging out with his handler.

There was nothing "common" about this big, beautiful, ebony bird. Apparently ravens have an IQ roughly equivalent to a 4-year-old. This guy could undo the latch on his tether, solve puzzles that required matching shapes, and use tools. He also could at one time say "hi" in a female voice, a male voice and laugh like a person. We had Aristophanes and his handler to ourselves. Then we hit the trails behind the Center. Ds and I could have spent an entire afternoon there but one of the high schoolers called and said they were out of school early due to an assembly.:tongue_smilie:

If the weather holds next week, we are going back as I would like to meet the Kestral. I've never seen one in IRL. It was a rather lovely way to wrap up our week, especially since ds had read an Eskimo creation myth that involved a raven.

I hope you all have had a good week with your dc and an opportunity to share a unique and enjoyable learning experience.

Edited by swimmermom3

Awesome! Don't you love those days?

We didn't go anywhere today - stayed home & had a pajama day. I dragged dc all over the county all week, so we earned it. Every time I have to schedule something with outschooling friends, I'm thankful for the flexibility we have!

Applause, applause! Sounds like a terrific outing.

Jane

It was indeed. I wonder who inspired me to stop somewhere that I have been driving past for 20+ years.:D Turns out our vet did a 3 hour surgery on one of their rehabilitated birds, so we have some questions for him when we see him next week. We are already looking forward to a return trip.