Menu

Help me remember a movie title

Garga

It was a based on true events movie that followed the life of a talented classical pianist. I think it started when the man was older and in a home for insane people. The psychologists won't let him play a piano because playing the piano caused some sort of breakdown. (maybe because he was a perfectionist and got obsessed with it? I can't remember exactly.)

We learn about how we started going somewhat crazy in his younger years. I remember a scene where he goes downstairs in his apartment building to get the mail, and he's only wearing a shirt and no pants and a neighbor is horrified.

There's the scene where he tries to play an incredibly hard Rachmaninoff piece at a concert and passes out.

There's a scene where (as an older man, under the care of the psychologists) he goes to a restaurant where there's a man playing a piano every evening. He goes to the restaurant a lot. The people there can tell there's something wrong with our main character (he seems sort of retarded.) Finally, at the restaurant, somehow or other they finally let him play the piano. They're a little smug thinking he'll play chopsticks or something, but he ends up playing The Flight of the Bumblebee perfectly and everyone in the restaurant is amazed and clapping. (I LOVED that scene!!!)

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? What's the title of this movie??? We're going to study Rachmaninoff soon and I want to show at least parts of the movie to the kids.