Menu

magic tree house research guides

LadyAberlin

Yes, my DS loves the Magic Tree House chapter books. He is flying through them this year for reading. I bought 4 of the research guides. We have read the Mummy one so far, it gives more detailed information with the topic that is in the coordinating book. The research books are written on the same level as the books so my DS can read with me.

For the mummy book it gave definitions, illustrations, pictures, and more detailed information concerning the topic that the mystery was about. I can see buying more of them especially with the books he finds very interesting.

No, not really any activities but there is a section on how to do more research with instructions and list of books, museums, videos and internet sites you can use for more information. This section could also be good for an older child who is just beginning to learn how to research and write reports.

I don't see us using that section this year unless he just really wants more information on a subject. I do think it will be good to use a few years from now when we study these subjects again in more detail.

We love the Magic School Bus science kits, they are great. They are a little bit on the expensive side, I think they retail for 20.00 each. I bought them this summer when scholastic had a sale and free shipping.

My DS is hands on, he loves doing experiments it is his favorite part of school. The kits come with everything you need other than a few household items such a zippy bag, pencil etc. The only thing I have had to purchase was Borax. I am keeping all the instruction guides and all the supplies, most can be reused so we can do the experiments again as he gets older.

I have pictures and descriptions of a few experiments on my blog, I need to take more pictures, we get half way into them and then I remember, camera! :tongue_smilie:

`

Our library has them, and I just got some newer ones out since they seemed interesting. I found them good for my kids at ages 7 to 9 -- with my younger one (7) I think I will read out loud, but at least the info is presented in a digestible way, I thought. My older son read them to himself at 8 or so, I think.

We love the Magic School Bus science kits, they are great. They are a little bit on the expensive side, I think they retail for 20.00 each. I bought them this summer when scholastic had a sale and free shipping.

My DS is hands on, he loves doing experiments it is his favorite part of school. The kits come with everything you need other than a few household items such a zippy bag, pencil etc. The only thing I have had to purchase was Borax. I am keeping all the instruction guides and all the supplies, most can be reused so we can do the experiments again as he gets older.

I have pictures and descriptions of a few experiments on my blog, I need to take more pictures, we get half way into them and then I remember, camera! :tongue_smilie:

`

Okay, I thought you were using the science/lit guides that go with the books. I've used their science kits too and we enjoyed them.

Our library has them, and I just got some newer ones out since they seemed interesting. I found them good for my kids at ages 7 to 9 -- with my younger one (7) I think I will read out loud, but at least the info is presented in a digestible way, I thought. My older son read them to himself at 8 or so, I think.

I'll have to check out my library. I didn't think of that!