Menu

Annapolis Naval Academy.....advice, help

You can research their websites for more information. As an aside, I think recruitment for them can start as young as 8. I've looked into them already for ds, soon to be 11. You didn't say how old your son is but you may have some difficulty meeting their requirements if he's already a junior.

Amy

Margaret in CO has a dd there now. I remember her posting (on the old board) what her daughter did to get accepted at all the academies. My ds (15) is a freshman and has dreams of going there. I am giving him a solid background and will let him take a lot of classes at the community college. He is taking a drama class at the local high school here and was in their fall musical. He is also on their cross country team. He is an Eagle Scout and will probably go on to Sea Scouts.

He has gone to several USNA functions in the area. He was fortunate to sit at the Superintendent of the Naval Academy's table for lunch in January. We visited Annapolis on vacation last summer and he loved it.

Whenever he complains that I'm requiring more than his ps high school friends, I ask him if he really wants to go to the academy...it would be so much easier getting in a state university!!!

You can glean a lot of information off their website. They are looking for well rounded individuals.

Is there anyone out there who has a son who is passionate about a military career? Anyone whose son wants to go to Annapolis? Are you doing anything different for their junior / senior year to help them meet there goal? If so, would you share?

Thanks,

Lisa

buettnerpl@alltel.

If he is a junior this year, he should apply for the Naval Academy Summer Seminar. This application will also count as a Pre Candidate Questionaire.

He should go to the websites for your senators and congressional representative and find out the requirements (especially dates) for their nominations.

He should take the ACT and SAT in his junior year so that if he needs to take it again he can. Some homeschool candidates improve their scores when they take the tests a second time.

He should be physically active and engaged in organized sports if possible. If he's not in a sport, then he should be in regular physical activity that is continually challenging. Some of the things I've seen as good options include martial arts, running with participation in 5k and 10k races, biking with participation in bike races or century rides and weight training that is methodical and might include a log that shows he's tracking his progress and improvement.

He should look at the activities he's currently in and ask where can he step forward and take on leadership responsibility. That doesn't have to be being president of a club. It might be organizing a food drive or similar activity. It might be an Eagle scout project. It might be organizing a science fair for elementary aged students in a coop.

He should also contact the local Blue and Gold Officer (Admissions Liason Officer) and ask about any opportunities to hear presentations about USNA or opportunities to meet midshipmen. He might also ask if USNA is appearling at any local college fairs in your area. (BTW, if he is a freshman or a sophmore, it is ok for a parent to make calls, but I would recommend that juniors and older make contact themselves.)

For academics, he would want to be ready to step into high demand classes at USNA including calculus, chemistry and history and English courses that demand a lot of reading and writing. The Admissions section of the USNA website has a page of suggested coursework for homeschoolers.

You've gotten some good advice. A few things to add:

Go buy the Candidate's Book to the Naval Academy or some such. Amazon has it. Also, Brief Points.

I'd forgotten this book; it really has great info in it.

I would also suggest that your son put the word out that he's interested. Someone you know has a military background or is the friend of a grad. You do NOT have to know someone to get in. But a standard question at interviews is one about how you got interested in USNA and if you have talked to any midshipmen or recent graduates. It is worth trying to find the alumni chapter and asking if they have any activities that he could attend (for example, a tailgate for a football or basketball game) where he could talk to folks about the Navy.

One of the great things about having goals like this is that the prep will also leave him prepared for lots of other options in college.