Menu

French Grammar

Hi,

Right! I need you to curriculum-experts to help me out. I'm not looking for a complete curriculum, actually. Hehe! I'm looking for a book on french grammar from basic to advanced for my DD who's done about 10 years of french but never mastered grammar, really. We're hoping she can master grammar, then go on to vocab and finally, reading french books so obviously the foundation of grammar is really important.

Any ideas?

Jo

French the Easy Way might be too elementary. I'd suggest Practice Makes Perfect: French Grammar by Annie Hemminway or The Ultimate French Review and Practice. The standard grammar reference is French Grammar by Daniel Calvez.

My guess is she probably knows more than she thinks, but needs something that will tie it all together and refresh via practice.

Danielle

My dd used French The Easy Way. Inexpensive, available at B. Dalton & such, and would probably cover high school French 1-3 grammar (up to the point of reading novels in French).

Julie

What did you combine with French The Easy Way to make it a complete program?

We have it. My mathie kid prefers its layout and straight forward approach. In additon, we are using The Easy French Reader along with watching the French in Action videos on Annenberg site. But I don't feel it is complete. So any suggestions?

Thanks!

Edited by Susie-Knits
flying finger syndrome

What did you combine with French The Easy Way to make it a complete program?

My dd did French 1 & 3 in public school.

For French 2, she did The Easy Way for grammar, and used things like you mentioned for building her vocabulary & conversation -- French in Action, Pimsleur, etc. At the end of French 2, I hired a local French teacher to evaluate her & talk in French with her; that teacher declared she had learned all she needed to enter French 3 the following year (when they start to read The Little Prince in French). She went thru the perfect tense, I believe, in the Easy Way book for French 2 grammar.

Julie

What sort of French has she done for the first 10 years? Have you thought about learning the vocab by reading? And you don't really need the grammar to read, at first, I've found. My son has been doing French for a number of years and can now read books and have conversations, but doesn't really know the grammar. In my experience, one needs the grammar to write and to speak grammatically, but not to read. There comes a point when grammar is nice for reading, in order to understand the finer points of whether someone just wished to do something, should have done something, or actually did it, but if you read simple things, we found it easy to do it without grammar.

-Nan