Menu

Americans Homeschooling Abroad

Cammie

I am only afterschooling at the moment but I am feeling the pull towards full time homeschooling. The questions I have is if you are living abroad did you look towards your state of last residence for requirements regarding homeschooling? If you don't know what state you will return to - then what? I am not exactly sure how to proceed on this point...any helpful tips would be appreciated!

One of the great things about homeschooling overseas is that you don't have to follow any state's regulations, nor do you have to do testing in the earlier years, unless you want to. We follow the WTM as our guide, this way I know that she's getting a great education. As for preparing her to go into school stateside, I don't really worry about that :)!

Just an FYI: The biggest challenge that I find in homeschooling overseas is the lack of English books. I don't have access to a good library like I did in the States, so I have to purchase what we need and that gets expensive to ship (unless a someone carries it in for you). That said, it's totally doable and very much worth the effort.

I registered my kids with Clonlara when we moved. I can keep doing whatever we're doing and simply send in progress reports. We also order the CAT through them and test them each year, but that's more for experience than anything else.

The main reason I went with them is as an insurance policy -- if something happened and we *had* to put our kids in school, where I am living it is virtually impossible to do so without paperwork from a prior school. When we first moved I looked into one of the American schools for my oldest, who was then five. They wanted paperwork from a prior school -- he was going into KG! They still said it was going to be very difficult, because here kids start school at 4 and the ministry was uber-strict on the paperwork.

So anyway, I decided to go with an umbrella school, and one reason I chose Clonlara is that I read how they had helped some other homeschoolers overseas transition their kids into school.

I also wanted to mention that there is an active Yahoo group for homeschoolers in India, although most of the posters are Indian not American:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/alt-ed-india/?yguid=81356811

hth!

We don't worry about following our state's requirements while we are in West Africa (of course, we come from one of the "easy" homeschooling states). I really wouldn't start thinking about it until about a year before you return or until you know which state you'll be going to. Then it would just be for planning purposes (in case you need to join a cover school or something).

I agree with the other poster who said the biggest challenge was getting the books. It's a lot more expensive, with the international shipping coupled with lack of libraries and/or used book sources.

You can make a portfolio of your dd's school work that will be helpful if you need records in the future. You might also find online classes or schools that work well for you. We use Time4Learning, and I save and print out weekly reports based on the work each child has done.

Blessings,

Laura