Menu

What is meant by "advanced map and globe skills"?

TrixieB

I was looking at the World Book Curriculum Guide. Under Social Studies, they list "advanced map and globe skills" for grades 7-9. For the lower grades, they list "map and globe skills". Any idea what is meant by these definitions?

I have not bought any geography or map workbooks for my kids (grades 3 and 6). They have looked up locations on world wall maps and in atlases. We've looked at population distribution maps and other non-political-type maps. What other map and globe skills should I be teaching? Would workbooks help?

My son takes the Iowa Basics each year & they include mapping skills. By that, they mean identifying direction (n, s, e, w), hemispheres, and following directions along a simplistic street map (where would you be if you went 1 block north and turned right).

However, he felt the 7th grade test was the same one he's been seeing since 3rd grade!

But if it were *me* then I would step it up as far as knowing where countries are on a blank map, knowing terms such as isthmus, and understanding longitude/latitude & time zones. Things like that. Maybe even start to know capitals of states & countries. Etc.

Julie

My son takes the Iowa Basics each year & they include mapping skills. By that, they mean identifying direction (n, s, e, w), hemispheres, and following directions along a simplistic street map (where would you be if you went 1 block north and turned right).

However, he felt the 7th grade test was the same one he's been seeing since 3rd grade!

But if it were *me* then I would step it up as far as knowing where countries are on a blank map, knowing terms such as isthmus, and understanding longitude/latitude & time zones. Things like that. Maybe even start to know capitals of states & countries. Etc.

Julie

Based on our family's experience, they probably ARE the same mapping skills questions. Last year my dd said (about a math question), "I remember this question from last year... and I think it was on the test the year before that." It didn't stop her from giving the wrong answer AGAIN. :rolleyes:

Two years ago dd used MFW ECC so she covered latitute/longitude, geography terms, country locations. We've discussed time zones. So it sounds like "advanced mapping skills" would just expand on what she's already worked on.

Thanks, Julie!

In most of the various map skills books we've used over the years, the more advanced work generally includes a lot more use of latitude/longitude to find various locations; use of time zone maps for the world; international date line info; sometimes work with historical maps (sometimes layering those with later periods for the same area of the world); and topographical maps seem to be becoming more used, as well.