Menu

Are some kids more suited to homeschooling than others?

Seems like a dumb question, I know. Every kid is different. Some are more introverted, some more extroverted. Some can work with many distractions around, some find distractions and noise intolerable. Most kids crave order...but some can tolerate disorder and chaos better than others. I guess I've just been thinking about this a lot since we sent ds9, ds11 and dd12 back to ps this year. Ds9 was adament about no going to ps, but is now loving it. Ds11 wanted to go back and is, of course, in his "element". He is a very, very social kid. Both of these boys gave me an incredibly hard time last year about doing schoolwork (ds9 more so than ds11). I'm comfortable with them being in ps right now. They are doing well and so far, no really negative influences that I can see. Dd12 is still not sure if ps is for her...and neither are dh and I. Without going into too much detail about our situation...do you think that some children are just better suited for homeschooling than others? Just curious.

Definitely. Some kids just want to try it out and might want to return to homeschooling. Some kids find the pressure of an out-of-the-norm lifestyle hard to handle (I never realized how many negative comments they got from other children until they were talking about it the other day).

We tried to allow our girls to decide for themselves and try things out. I am only homeschooling one now (big sister in College :001_smile:), she is happy at home now for sophomore year but wants to dual enroll at community college next year.

I think some kids can make homeschooling difficult to impossible, if they want to go to ps. It's not that they aren't suited to it, it's that they don't want to.

IOW, if something happened and you and your family ended up in the middle of nowhere with no way to go to ps, then you could homeschool, because your kids would not have a choice. Having the option, and preferring to ps, there's not much, imo, point in trying to force them to homeschool. The know the option and want it.

Yes, I do. I think my dd would do fine in public school, and she wanted to go to school this year for 8th grade, but she isn't able to because of her intensive ballet schedule. She won't be able to go to a regular school for high school either, if she continues on with ballet. I actually think she would thrive in a regular school environment. She resists doing school work at home, but if a teacher required it of her, she'd want to please the teacher, and she wouldn't want to lose face in front of the other students, so that would motivate her to do well academically. At home, we struggle with her resistance almost everyday. Then, she does her work and does well on it :glare:. If it were not for her ballet schedule, I'm sure she'd be going to regular school.

My son went to a brick and mortar school for his freshman year in high school last year, and he ended up hating it. He did very well academically; most of the required work was rehashing what he already knew, and so he got good grades. He is very outgoing, and has a good group of friends. All of his friends who also homeschooled throughout most of elementary school, as he did, are continuing on in regular high school. They are fine with the structure of it. My son is not. He prefers to immerse himself in a subject and learn everything he can about it, and then move on. The structure of multiple classes, and endless amounts of busy work drove him crazy. He says he learns far more as a homeschooler. He's homeschooling this year independently, and we're not even following a curriculum. He's reading on his own, and setting up a business which requires him to write, and learn business math. And he's found that he still has a full social life, which was his biggest reason for going to a regular high school in the first place. :thumbup1:

do you think that some children are just better suited for homeschooling than others?

What kind of homeschooling? methods? materials? toward which goals?

Definition of 'suited'? likes it? succeeds with it? doesn't like it but it's what the student needs?

:seeya:

Edited by Moni