Menu

Help with Foerster's Algebra II/Trigonomerty

:banghead:How much of the Algebra II/Trigonometry by Foerster does my dd have to do to be ready for honors pre calculus? If she does both the algebra and trig what comes next? What is the difference between trig and pre calculus? TIA Robin

Hi Robin,

The difference between trig and precalculus depends on the curriculum itself. In some curricula, Algebra II covers polynomials and rational functions--not exponentials, logarithms, trig. In others, one is exposed to those concepts but at an introductory level. If you have a student who will be studying Calculus, you want that student to be sufficiently prepared to focus on Calculus itself--not the background material. Thus a precalc course usually includes the prerequisite material, like polynomial inequalities, basic graphing and factoring of polynomials and rationals (how to find roots and asymptotes--without a calculator!), logs, e^x, the trig functions as circular functions (not just the triangular relationships, but how to sketch and translate sine, cosine, tangent). Some Algebra II/Trig texts are so thorough that a student can hop on the Calculus bus if that is desired. Many seem to feel that a Precalc course solidifies the material from the previous courses.

You mention honors precalculus. A college honors calculus course is usually geared to math majors and is heavy on proofs. It is my opinion that an honors precalculus course would prepare students for this type of course. My plan is for my son to master techniques like induction and understand limits in what I am calling precalculus next year.

Jane

I have used, or should say, we are currently using Foerster.

We used his Al II/Trig text for AL II, just the AL II part....none of the trig. This took us one school year. Then we purchased and are using his Precalculus with Trigonometry course by Key Press. This is a one year course. It is great, it also teaches you, or requires you to learn how to use your graphing calculator, which is, I think, important. You need to be able to do things with and without the calculator IMO.

Paul Foerster is the one who recommended to me that we only do the AL II part of his Al II/Trig book. He feels that the newer book by key press is better for trig and precal.

Hope this helps...stop banging your head....you'll just dent the wall.:001_smile:

It's going quite well. My non-mathy son is doing this text, and he's understanding the concepts far better than I anticipated. He did Jacobs Alg I and Geometry, so Foerster is a good fit for him. Now and then we have a day like this: :banghead: But most days we're able to figure things out without too much trouble so overall this guy is appropriate! :hurray:

Would you mind posting a link to Foerster's precalc?

Thanks!

Lisa

Are you teaching the honors precalc or is this going to be taken somewhere else? Which text will be used? If elsewhere, can you talk with the teacher to find out if trig is needed? Or what was covered in the honors Alg. II?

I can tell you that my ds took the regular (no honors offered) precalc at the local high school and he definitely needed to have trig before that class. Trig was taught in both the regular and honors Alg. II. I talked with the teacher prior to signing him up to decide which chapters I needed to cover in Foerster's and did all but 11&12. This teacher was big into proofs and also taught AP Calc and is a reader for the AP Exam.

I guess it depends on a lot of other things as to how much you need to do.

Algebra II

Course Code: 20242

Level: S

Credit: 1

Prerequisites: Algebra I, Geometry

This course extends the math skills learned in Algebra I and Geometry. It continues students’ study of advanced algebraic concepts, including functions, polynomials, rational expressions, systems of functions and inequalities, and matrices. Students will describe and translate among graphic, algebraic, numeric, tabular, and verbal representations of relations and use those representations to solve problems. Emphasis is placed on practical applications and modeling. Graphing calculators are used to explore various objectives. The student will take the Algebra II End-of-Course Test.

Algebra II – Honors

Course Code: 20245

Level: H

Credit: 1

Prerequisites: Algebra I, Geometry

Honors Algebra II demands a more challenging approach to the study of advanced algebraic concepts. Emphasis is placed on critical thinking and problem solving. Students will be given opportunities for advanced work to promote rigorous academic study. Polynomial equations (3rd degree and higher) and conic sections will be studied in addition to objectives identified in the Standard level of Algebra II. Emphasis is also placed on practical applications and modeling. Graphing calculators are used to explore various objectives. The student will take the NC Algebra II End-of-Course Test.

Pre Calculus

Prerequisites: Geometry and Algebra II

This course is designed to prepare the student for AP Calculus. It provides an honors-level study of trigonometry, advanced functions, analytic geometry, and data analysis. Topics covered include: quadratic relations; transformations of relations in two dimensions; operations with vectors; functions – polynomial, power, rational, exponential, logarithmic, logistic, piecewise-defined, and greatest integer; trigonometric and inverse trigonometric functions; calculator-generated models of functions; composition and inverse of functions; polar equations; parametric equations; recursively-defined functions; limits. Graphing calculators are used to explore various objectives. This course will satisfy the fourth year math requirement

She has had part of TT Algebra II and part of another program (Lial's I think). She in PS now and will be taking the pre calculus there, unless she decides to come home. How do I get her ready? She needs that 4th math credit for a college prep diploma. Math is not her strong point, she is going to CC but not into a math or science field.

If you stayed with me this long Thank You. Please give me some guidance. Thanks Again Robin

http://www.keypress.com/x5423.xml

Glad it is going well for you....we really like Mr. Foerster around here....but we are really behind. We had to take some time off because of a different course that needed some attention and now we are paying for it. :nopity: DS is going to take Spring Break next week, but it is really more like catch up week.....

The good news is he is ahead in three other classes, the bad news is he has about 100 lessons to do in the precalc....ouch.

You say she is in ps now but done part of TT and Lial's. If she is in school now, what math is she in? And when are you going to do Foerster's? :confused:

Our local high school requires an A in regular or an A or B in honors Alg. II to take precalc. (If you are really math minded, you can test out and go directly into AP Calc).

I don't know what the content of the NC exam is to help there.

Hope this helps.

she did ps 9th grade algebra I passed with a c

she did charter school home study in 10th with two algebra II books, but never finished either book, but they gave her full credit a B no less

she's in 11th now doing geometry passing with an A so far

She needs a math credit for a college prep diploma at ps

Due to health problems she may home school. I think if she goes to ps she needs to take a complete Algebra II before she trys to takle that honors pre calculus. If she home schools she needs to take the Algebra II and then I can call it done (I think).

I just don't know how to guide her on this, either way I think I'm going to have to hire a tutor. So that's where it stands. It took me along time just to come up with the opitions that I think we have. If any one else has some thing to add I'm all ears :bigear: Thanks Ya'll. Robin