Menu

Update on my dd whom I suspected might have dyslexia

Carpe Diem

Hello.

Today she had an initial visit with an optometrist who has vision therapy at her practice. She diagnosed her with convergence difficulties. She said glasses for reading would be the starting point and to have her rechecked in 6-8 weeks. Then she would have a few more in depth tests, some with the vision therapist. She also gave us a home exercise to work on.

I don't doubt the convergence difficulties. I suspected something because I see her left eye move out and then back in when we are playing close up.

So, does this sound like we are right on track?

The other day my dd read the following sign. She had never seen the last two words before so she sounded them out: food manufacturing facility.

Thanks for your input.

Sounds like you are on the right track. My ds's vision therapist re-evals him about every 6 weeks as well. It is always interesting to see which areas he is progressing in and which ones we need to work harder in. He also has convergence issues. He started out with a patch to encourage one eye to work harder now we do lots of exercises like those old magic eye books - he ahs to stare at them until the images merge and can tell me what the new image is. We have "homework" each week that we then do daily at home. Some of my son's resembles OT exercises as well.

I was so skeptical about the glasses with my son. He had 20/20 vision but the glasses really do seem to make his eyes work well together. So much so that he wants to wear them full time, not just for reading.

How do you find a vision therapist to evaluate? My ds needs an evaluation like this, but I'm not sure how to go about finding the right person to take him to. His vision is great, but I do think he has issues with vision, and that his eyes need some training. He has SPD and everything he does is fast. He had issues learning to speak and is in speech therapy, too. I think his brain just works so fast, his mouth had a hard time forming the syllables. Unfortunately, I think his vision might be working the same way. We are working on reading, and he doesn't look at the whole word. He sees the first letter and blurts out guesses, and he sometimes forgets that we read left to right. Granted, he will only be 6 in November, but given his history, I will feel better if he is evaluated.

ETA: I got some great advice on another thread. See, I thought I'd asked this question before! LOL I am going to check with my dd's optometrist first and see what he recommends.

Edited by DawnL