Menu

Comma usage and conjunctions

LadyAberlin

I'm looking at first language lessons and trying to understand when to use commas. FLL has the dictation passage: You can go swimming, or you can use the computer. But it also has the same sentence without the comma earlier. So which one is correct and why? Also what is the comma rule being used in this sentence? I was tired, and I slept. I normally just decide on comma usage by listening where I pause, but the little girl I'm tutoring I think needs to know the rules.

During the Dinosaur Era (my era), the sentence would read,

"You may go swimming, or, you may use the computer."

commas flanking the word "or"

Equally acceptable, however, -- and probably more common -- would have been to omit all commas. This is a compound sentence, rather than a run-on [sentence].

also, use of the word "may", unless the speaker is assessing the presence or absence of the two skills, swimming and computer knowledge.

Edited by Orthodox6

Both are correct. When the clauses are short and omitting the comma won't result in confusion, comma use is a matter of personal preference/style.

Thank you for an answer briefer than my clumsy one !

(. . . still standing firm about that example's misuse of the word "can", though ! :tongue_smilie:)