Menu

Reading recs for 9yo ds reluctant reader

oliveview

My boy loves anything by David Macaulay...the books are incredibly illustrated in b&w, and he has written books about all kinds of things: the building of the Pyramids, Roman Village, Big City, How Things Work...right up my boy's alley. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/ref=ntt_athr_dp_sr_1?%5Fencoding=UTF8&sort=relevancerank&search-type=ss&index=books&field-author=David%20Macaulay

The reading just kind of goes along with the illustrations, so it's painless. :)

He also likes the Boxcar Children Chapter books. (His big sister's influence.) :)

Diary of a Whimpy Kid are also geared toward boys/humor.

The Invention of Hugo Cabret - my library also had the audio Cd (maybe he can follow along).

Also, ds fell in LOVE with the Poppy series by Avi. I read most of them out loud before bedtime and then he would read them after I left his bedroom. In the mornings he would be on the couch reading. To this day, he still wishes that there were more Poppy books.

Edited by daisychics