Menu

Does anyone use Key to Math materials? Need help

paminoz

How many pages would you expect an 8th grader to do a day on average? Not including marking.

Pam

who hasn't been here for a long time but who still thinks of it as a centre of knowledge!

Edited by paminoz
forgot to get email notice

My son is required to work for about 40 minutes. He flew through the first easy book or two (like 6-8 pgs.) and now has slowed down a little bit(probably 4-5 pgs). I also cross off some problems as long as he is getting them right and doing well. If he misses the few he has to do, then he has to do them as well. It's a lot of review for him, though - not new stuff.

Are you using this as your only Math curriculum? Or, is it for remediation? They can be used either way, but the publisher designed them for the latter. (I called and checked.)

I would definitely go with a time limit and not a certain number of pages each day. This is true especially if you are using it for remediation. Make sure each "lesson" is graded before going on to the next.

For my eighth grader, I require 1 solid hour of math a day.

I humbly hope my 2 cents helps :)

He has been doing an hour a day and this has been working ok up till now. (It is his only Maths programme, btw- the only one that has worked for his sequential brain.) Sometimes he's flown through it; sometimes he's had to go a bit slower with new concepts.

Right now, he is not doing new concepts and I think he is being lazy or getting distracted. He's only been doing one or two pages and this is about half of what I think he could do.

I'm not sure where he is in the book, but be careful. If he has slowed down, maybe the concepts are becoming more abstract and he needs help understanding the concept with more of a hands on approach with something like algebra tiles, etc. Just a thought. I don't have any background on how he did previously in math, but algebra is abstract and sometimes kids need tactile lessons to help them understand the concept. Actually, it's really cool to see how algebra comes together with the algebra tiles for ALL learners.

Anyway, make sure he isn't struggling before you decide he is being "lazy".

hth :)