Menu

I'm going through withdrawl

Call your local ps! I volunteered with a "Reads" program at our local school when dd's were attending. I was matched with two students, and went to the school at a regular time each week, for an hour. I read with each one for 1/2-hour. I did this for 2 years - and really bonded with those kids! The last year, I had 5th grade boys, and one of them asked if I could do it again next year when he was in the middle school :crying: I saw the other boy I read with that year in the grocery recently and didn't recognize him (he's a high schooler now) until he introduced himself. He thanked me for reading with him all those years ago.

Anyway - you can tell it was a very meaningful experience! You might see if your ps has a similar program. If not, I would still ask to be referred to a teacher who might like help in this manner.

My son is on vacation with his aunt. My girls are in PS. So...I am sitting here...my house is clean..the laundry is washed and I am bored. I told my hubby I couldnt do this all year. I would have to work if my kids went back to school. I cant wait to start school next week. This week I am trying to get into the PS and volunteer a little to kill time!!

Call your local ps! I volunteered with a "Reads" program at our local school when dd's were attending.

I had actually thought about this! The only problem is that I have a 19 mo to watch during the day. Well, right now, dh is unemployed, but that won't last through the school year. I would hate to ditch a child halfway through! I should think about it more, see if I can figure something out. It certainly would be nice to work with a child whose superiors (in this case, the teachers) actually WANT me there, instead of viewing extra work as a burden for their child, no matter how vitally important for that child's educational success. :glare: But I digress. :tongue_smilie: