Menu

Technology and higher learning - discussion.....

I'm looking for experience, ideas, feedback and opinions about technology and learning especially at higher levels.

As I have shared, the last time I was in a formal academic setting, email addresses did not exist.

I have only been to 2 classes so far. In that class and in the lounge and halls, I see a significant percentage of laptops or minis.

I had already decided to type my class notes from written as a learning and study tool. Some students seem to be taking notes directly into their laptop. I would, except one worry is less learning and retention due to not utlizing all the senses involved in writing. And also dropping a step equals less review.

What about Kindle for textbooks?

We have a laptop. It's old and heavy and technically my DH's but I could use it.

I am wondering if when my student loans come in, technology to aid my next 2.5 year is worth considering.

And do "mini" laptops have word processing that is compatible with Word?

I'm a college professor and I teach online classes. FWIW, I wouldn't worry about taking notes on a laptop, especially if that's not the way you learn best. The trend in higher ed, actually, is removing laptops from the classroom again!

We use all Macs in the house, but I needed a windows platform to add content to my classroom. I bought a mini since we really didn't need another computer. I was happily surprised with the number of programs that came loaded - and I bought a cheapo at Target for $249. It comes with MS Works, which is not the same as Word but is certainly compatible. You can also download Open Office for free, which lets you open & create .doc files as well as PowerPoint. That will save you lots of $$ if you don't already have those programs to install.

I think as long as you can work with .ppt (power point) .doc and .pdf files, you're good to go.

Good luck in your studies!

You can get Windows-based minis that run Word. You can also get Linux based minis (love mine) that run Open Office which is mostly compatible with Word. My dh uses Open Office on a Mac and two Windows-based computers and has little problem with it. I had to jump through hoops to install software I don't completely understand onto my Mini to be able to use Word because my editor uses Word2007 and I was using Open Office and the comment feature isn't compatible. Grrr. If I had known, I would have just gotten a mini with Word on it. I would recommend a mini over a full laptop if you are going to be carrying it around. I have a laptop and decided that buying a mini to tote around was cheaper than back surgery from carrying my full laptop (I have scoliosis issues, though). The battery life is also better on the minis, but the memory is lower, so you will want to get a thumbdrive to store documents on. (Also good since it can be impossible or impractical to put anti-virus on a mini, so having all your documents on a thumb drive will protect them if you ever have virus issues. I have had no problems on my Linux mini.)

My dh is a grad student, and he is looking at getting a Kindle for PDFs. He still likes having a textbook in his hand and taking notes in the margins, but he can't stand all the paper required to print-out PDFs. You can view and annotate PDFs on the Kindle.

HTH

I graduated from college 9 years ago. Students were just starting to use laptops in class at that time. I never did. I have taken a few community college classes here and there since then, and have never used a laptop in class. I also like reading from an actual textbook, and being able to highlight or write in the margins much better than reading on a screen. I don't like being tied to my computer all the time - much better to curl up with my books on the couch than have my laptop sitting on me. :D I agree that the act of writing out notes is a huge help in retention of the lecture.

I do think that having your own laptop would be helpful, though. I have brought mine to the library to work on projects, when I've met with study groups or worked on group projects, etc. If I know I will have some time between classes it is nice to have the option to bring it with me. So even if you don't plan on using it in class for note taking purposes, it could still come in handy.

I'm a college professor and I teach online classes. FWIW, I wouldn't worry about taking notes on a laptop, especially if that's not the way you learn best. The trend in higher ed, actually, is removing laptops from the classroom again!

My dd is taking 5 classes this semester, and two of her profs don't allow the use of laptops in the classroom. Too many students hide behind their laptops and don't engage in class discussions. My dd says it can be very distracting to look around and see how many students are actually surfing the 'net and not taking notes.

I think if writing out notes is working for you then that is what you should stick with. I have also been in classroom that do not allow any technology including laptops and tape records. I wouldn't buy a laptop specifically use in the classroom but rather for college in general.