Menu

TOG users - help me think dd's dialectic transition through a bit

momee

Marcia talks about training new dialectic level kids to go mom's notebooks and find the student pages and answer the questions from there instead of from something like a Karenciavo style workbook mom puts together.

I've heard or read (can't remember which) the reasons against workbooks are that the children need to learn to go after the information, learn where to find it and begin to prepare for college by reading questions and answering them in a format without space to write their answers in (my bad summary of her reasoning).

I'm all for less work for me, but I'm not sure how realistic that is.

We're using year 2, just looking at weeks 6, one of the Thinking Questions is as follows:

1. The feudal system developed as a response to stressful conditions, as we outlined last week. The central governments of England, France, Germany, and Italy were in their infancy, since the feudal system fostered a system of alliances between equals more than centralized governments. Nonetheless, God used events to forward the development of nation-states. Looking back with the clear vision of hindsight, we can notice some. Jot down information on kings of England, France and the German and Italian territories and prepare to discuss the development of modern nation-states during the feudal period.

Okay, my just turned 11 year old can get through the history reading itself but a question like this will have her in tears.

We'll go very slowly and I know she won't be doing all the questions (actually this is one we'd skip :001_huh:). She'll face this with church history and probably literature too.

How, exactly, did you move your upper grammars to dialectic?

Our experience with ds was painful. I expected wwwwaaaayyy too much too soon and he hated the experience. I'd like to avoid repeating my mistake but am having trouble narrowing down exactly what to concentrate on and in what format she needs the info to best help her succeed.

She's ready for the next step, but she's not ready for college:lol:, kwim?

I have been thinking about this too, especially because when I tried the SAP pages my dd hated them. She loves to big picture overview I make up in Excel. She like me does better when she sees the big picture. All the pages of the SAP overwhelm her. So how/when do I start her writing her own schedule?

Here I think I will wait till High School for it. I do plan on start the D level questions for Lit and World View this year, and History, Philosophy and Government when we come back to year 1. Like you dd mine will have the deer in the headlight look to some questions. I figure I will first try to break the question down into smaller chunks and see if I can lead her to the real question. If not then I will try to start a discussion over what the question asks. I am not going to stress over her not knowing the questions till High School.

Heather

How, exactly, did you move your upper grammars to dialectic?

We took an entire year last year to make that transition. The first unit of our transition year, I'd pick and choose several accountability Qs and 1-2 thinkings Qs to discuss aloud ... very gently leading the whole way.

By the second unit, I'd have her jot down a few words or phrases by each AQ to help her remember more details during discussion. We did most of the TQ aloud ... with limited expectations on my part.

The third unit, we actually backed off because I just couldn't face another culture chart (yr 1) or so many multisyllabic words in the Qs for a while.:tongue_smilie:

But for the fourth unit, everything came together and she was making notes or writing answers for every AQ and TQ I assigned.

As we started the next yp a few weeks ago, the SAPs didn't faze her and she is doing well. I am not yet requiring written answers to everything but am focusing on the discussions. We will get to that point over the next month or so, though. Otherwise, she gets lazy.

For the whole self-scheduling thing, we had started making that transition in 4th grade and by 5th grade she was doing that on her own for the most part. That, too, took a year or more to fully develop. Now I just hand her a list of all weekly assignments (we use DE so I'm not pointing her to a binder!) and she schedules it out for every subject plus extras.

Hang in there!

Edited by Renaissance Mom