Menu

Can I share this narration from my 6yo?

MelissaMinNC

I read her the first chapter of "Alexander the Great" from Fifty Famous Stories Retold that I got from the Baldwin project website. (Thanks to whomever recommended this source!) After reading it, I realized I could have done just half a chapter or so - there's a lot of stuff in there! Anyway, here's her narration:

'Alexander was born while a temple was burning. Someone gave his father a horse and everyone was scared of him. Alexander went out and found out the horse was afraid of his own shadow. He turned him around and his shadow was behind him. That was Alexander's favorite horse. The horse was named Bucephalus (I had to help her pronounce it), meaning Oxhead, because the horse was in the shape of an ox.'

I'm so impressed with her, LOL! She has really come such a long way with narrating in complete sentences, and focusing on the reading to remember the details. It's so hard for the proofreader in me to not edit her narrations for clarity, but I didn't. Anyway, does this seem like a reasonable narration, or am I overly impressed? I may not be the most objective (understatement of the year!) with my own kids, so really, tell me if you think we're woefully missing the object here (but be gentle, please).

Thanks a bunch!

Melissa

It's so great to listen to the little kiddoes narrate! It warms your heart when you know they got it! It will also pay off in good writing in the long run; my ds has done narration since first grade and now he doesn't even have to think about writing complete, interesting sentences. (Capitalization and punctuation can be another matter . . . .:rolleyes: )