Menu

Five In A Row questions

Devotional Soul

I'm considering FIAR for my storybook-loving 5 year old, and I have some questions. Thanks in advance for helping me get a better idea about FIAR. :)

How is the science in FIAR? Do you supplement the science? What are the science topics?

Do your studies jump around from book to book, like learning about China with the Story of Ping one week, then Ohio with Lentil the next week. Is there a flow to the order, or do you switch it around?

Do you supplement with anything else besides phonics/reading and math?

Thanks again!:001_smile:

We used it last year.

How is the science in FIAR? Do you supplement the science? What are the science topics? It was pretty advanced for the grade we used it for (K). They cover all kinds of topics, life science, physics, chemistry, etc. We did some additional science kits like the "My First Science Kit," not because we felt it was lacking, but because Ariel got several for Christmas from relatives.

Do your studies jump around from book to book, like learning about China with the Story of Ping one week, then Ohio with Lentil the next week. Is there a flow to the order, or do you switch it around? It jumps around. You can organize it however you like if you have all the manuals, but it was easier for us just to go in the order it was organized in the manual. I know I have seen some plans somewhere for "rowing" around the world. I'd start with How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World, in that case.

Do you supplement with anything else besides phonics/reading and math? We did, but you don't have to. We added handwriting, music, Spanish and nature study (FIAR's nature study guides are pretty cool).

How is the science?

It is pretty good for the ages intended. It is very unit studyish. There are ideas for activities or topics to discuss for every book. We doing the activities in the book and whatever easy/inexpensive ideas I find on the internet.

What are the science topics?

Depends on the book. Madeline is about germs. Papa Piccolo is about cats. Night of the Moonjellies is about the ocean. Each book is different.

Do we jump from book to book and idea to idea?

YES! We are going to do Papa Piccolo, set in Italy, and then Night of the Moonjellies, set in Connecticut. The idea is the book is the hook. They remember the fun of the book and the topics from the book.

Do I supplement with things other than Language Arts and Math?

We do music (piano lessons) and whatever other things they find at the library. We also do Read Alouds of things I want them to be exposed to but don't want to do formally. This is where we are covering A Child's History of the World and later the Story of the World books.

If you want to see how lots more people do FIAR look at their message boards. They are very very Christian in flavor but the authors work hard at making everyone feel welcome. Do a google search to find their boards.

We just started this week and are actually doing a combination of FIAR Volumes 1-3 and Before Five in a Row. I have two other littles tagging along, but I'm gearing the lessons toward my K dd.

How is the science in FIAR? Do you supplement the science? What are the science topics?

I would have considered using the science but I had already picked out something else. We will do a few of the science lessons and will be learning about animals from the books, but for the most part we will be using BFSU.

Do your studies jump around from book to book, like learning about China with the Story of Ping one week, then Ohio with Lentil the next week. Is there a flow to the order, or do you switch it around?

Yes, we do jump around a lot. I tried to pick books that would go well with each season, but other than that we're just studying what I thought the kids would be interested in.

Do you supplement with anything else besides phonics/reading and math?

We do spelling (no phonics), handwriting, science, and Bible narrations.