Menu

OPG -- What do I need?

inactive

In my opinion, you have plenty! :001_smile: We only used the book itself, though I made my own flashcards for the beginning. My DD got it in her head that she had to read from the book itself, so even a white board wasn't necessary for us, but I think that might be very helpful. I certainly don't think you need the one specific to OPG, though.

In your opinion, if an older child has struggled with reading, would OPG help? (I'm trying to decide if I should buy this or not...)

BACKGROUND:

We have done CLP's Adventure in Phonics A and B...

He's reading books like the CLP Nature Reader 1, Frog and Toad, Dr. Seuss, etc. But he doesn't have fluency, etc. and isn't always successful in trying to figure out harder words...

He doesn't always know when a "c" makes a k sound vs when it makes an "s" sound...

He struggles with multi-syllable words like "classical"...he guesses.

Thanks in advance...

Edited by inactive

I think it would work, since it explains the rules. Ariel has done well with it because it has practice with the words in short stories after the rule is introduced, so it's really cemented into her brain. We didn't start with OPG, and the lessons we have done so far are review, but I can attest that her confidence and ability have improved since we started using it. One good thing about OPG for an older child is there aren't cutesy pictures (or any pictures at all, for that matter) and teaches up to a 4th grade level, so they should feel the material is beneath them.

Here is my 2 cents...

For OPG all you need are the book and a white board. (you may not even need the white board, but most people have found it helpful.) You might need a pack of index cards for flashcards, especially if your dc is having trouble with certain sounds etc.

Yes, it will absolutely help him with the kids of problems you wrote about. It is very thorough, incremental and specific about phonics rules, and memorization of the exceptions. You can skip to the areas that he is having trouble with and drill on those until he is more fluent. (We are just finishing up a series of lessons on when c says "k" and when it says "s". Ds still struggles a little, but we will keep reviewing until it sticks.)

That said, it may be a bit...dull for a child used to reading real stories. Its strength is that it is straightforward, but that could also be a downfall if you are looking for bells and whistles. Let him continue with his readers and use OPG to drill trouble areas. Hope that helps!

In your opinion, if an older child has struggled with reading, would OPG help? (I'm trying to decide if I should buy this or not...)

BACKGROUND:

We have done CLP's Adventure in Phonics A and B...

He's reading books like the CLP Nature Reader 1, Frog and Toad, Dr. Seuss, etc. But he doesn't have fluency, etc. and isn't always successful in trying to figure out harder words...

He doesn't always know when a "c" makes a k sound vs when it makes an "s" sound...

He struggles with multi-syllable words like "classical"...he guesses.

Thanks in advance...

Yes! I'm doing this with my 8 yr old. I'm just going through and touching the parts he doesn't know well. I use separate readers as someone suggested. We use McGuffey readers. I also like ABeCeDarian.

With my 5 yr old I just use a white board.

Thank you all SO much!!

You've set my mind at ease about switching approaches...I am SO excited about the WTM approach to *all* subjects! (i was somewhat familiar before, but only did History classically...we used textbooks and workbooks for other subjects.)

I've been busy researching and ordering...researching some more...ordering some more. LOL

Now, I just need to take a deep breath and wait for the packages to arrive...:lol: