Menu

How important is it to keep elementary papers??

Well, I sure hope they are not important, because I throw almost everything away!

I keep a small folder for each child and keep a sample from each year of their handwriting, art work, and anything else that stands out as being TOO CUTE!

The rest goes straight into the recycle bin (when they are not looking).

I used to keep everything, but I've really whittled it down. All important work for each child fits in one folder per year. All folders are in a file cabinet. Each folder has tests for skill-related subjects (primarily English and Math), and also final compositions (no rough drafts). I'll include originals of special art work if it will fit, otherwise I take a photo. I'll also include a list of books read or poems memorized. I think that about covers it. For "side" subjects like Italics, Maps Charts and Graphs, spelling, etc..I just toss everything.

BTW, I color code everyone's folders. Oldest ds's folders are all red, ds#2 is blue, etc...

Oh, and one more thing...I keep their standardized test scores in there, too. When they get their Iowa results back, I add them to the folder.

Guest RecumbentHeart
I used to keep everything, but I've really whittled it down. All important work for each child fits in one folder per year. All folders are in a file cabinet. Each folder has tests for skill-related subjects (primarily English and Math), and also final compositions (no rough drafts). I'll include originals of special art work if it will fit, otherwise I take a photo. I'll also include a list of books read or poems memorized. I think that about covers it. For "side" subjects like Italics, Maps Charts and Graphs, spelling, etc..I just toss everything.

BTW, I color code everyone's folders. Oldest ds's folders are all red, ds#2 is blue, etc...

Oh, and one more thing...I keep their standardized test scores in there, too. When they get their Iowa results back, I add them to the folder.

I like this idea and I could use all the "toss" stuff as kindling to get us through the winter :D lol