Menu

WWE 2--can ds read passage himself?

J'etudie

We're on week 4 of WWE 2. I read today's passage aloud and ds didn't know two of the six details asked in the questions. I asked him to read it to himself and then reasked the questions. He knew everything plus some. Will he miss a vital component of his writing education if he doesn't listen to the passage read aloud? He listens to audio books for hours and will later repeat passages to me verbatim so I know he has decent auditory abilities, but he's definitely stronger in the visual learning realm.

Thoughts?

I'm not sure, but we started working through WWE3 today (using the samples from the website until my workbook arrives :)) and the text tells you to have the student read the section either aloud or to themselves. I'm going to guess that if your child is able to read to himself in WWE2 that you're not going to cause any permanent damage. ;)

Thank you, Jane. I have my ds read along as I read aloud - to help w/ this very issue. We're still at a point where if I leave it completely to him, he skims too much & hasn't paid close attention to the whole story. If I just read aloud, sometimes his eyes glaze over and I get "What? Huh?" when I ask the questions. So we do both, and our problem is solved. :)

If I just read aloud, sometimes his eyes glaze over and I get "What? Huh?" when I ask the questions. So we do both, and our problem is solved. :)

So this phenomemon isn't unique to my house. :D

He's been wanting to read over my shoulder so I think I'll let him from now on.

Thanks!

I would vary it, since obviously being able to listen to a passage and recall specific details is an important skill, but he doesn't have to practice that with every single assignment. So I'd let him read the passage some of the time, and other times I'd read aloud and remind him to listen very carefully in order to be able to respond to the questions.

I wouldn't skip the practice of listening and recalling details. But I wouldn't feel constrained to do that every single time.

I would vary it, since obviously being able to listen to a passage and recall specific details is an important skill, but he doesn't have to practice that with every single assignment. So I'd let him read the passage some of the time, and other times I'd read aloud and remind him to listen very carefully in order to be able to respond to the questions.

I wouldn't skip the practice of listening and recalling details. But I wouldn't feel constrained to do that every single time.

Varying it would be good. (I'm so black and white. Why do I think I have to do it one way forever? :confused:) Also, he needs and gets lots of practice listening and recalling details. I think the sentence I say most frequently is: "Now, tell me what I just just told you do to."

Also, he needs and gets lots of practice listening and recalling details. I think the sentence I say most frequently is: "Now, tell me what I just just told you do to."

I guess I'm seeing a difference between the examples you gave of him recalling what he's heard and what a child is asked to do in WWE2. You said he can repeat back to you portions of a story he has listened to, or you ask him to repeat back the instructions he has just been given. Those are great things to do. But it's a slightly *different* skill than being asked to recall the answer to a question about a detail in something he has heard. And apparently that skill is one with which he struggles a bit -- so practice is good.

"Tell me what you remember about this passage," is very different than saying, "But what color were the troll's shoes?", you know? Both are important, but they aren't the same thing. Which is why I would continue to do the WWE-style questions from material he *hears* (as well as material he reads to himself) on a semi-regular basis.

He's probably more of a visual learner. I am too, and my dd5 is too. She always wants to read along with me when I am doing a read-aloud. I do try to make sure that we do some exercises where she has to simply listen. WWE and FLL are good for this, because they are short. It's not her strength, but she is showing improvement in being able to recall details.

I wish that I had developed a better skill in active listening when I was younger. I compensate by taking ridiculously detailed notes. If I don't write it down and SEE it rather than just hear it, it goes in one ear and out the other. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to just sit and listen and know that I'll remember most of what I'm listening to.

I guess I'm seeing a difference between the examples you gave of him recalling what he's heard and what a child is asked to do in WWE2. You said he can repeat back to you portions of a story he has listened to, or you ask him to repeat back the instructions he has just been given. Those are great things to do. But it's a slightly *different* skill than being asked to recall the answer to a question about a detail in something he has heard. And apparently that skill is one with which he struggles a bit -- so practice is good.

"Tell me what you remember about this passage," is very different than saying, "But what color were the troll's shoes?", you know? Both are important, but they aren't the same thing. Which is why I would continue to do the WWE-style questions from material he *hears* (as well as material he reads to himself) on a semi-regular basis.

No, you're correct. I just see lots of areas where he needs practice with active listening. :)

Thanks for your help!

He's probably more of a visual learner. I am too, and my dd5 is too. She always wants to read along with me when I am doing a read-aloud. I do try to make sure that we do some exercises where she has to simply listen. WWE and FLL are good for this, because they are short. It's not her strength, but she is showing improvement in being able to recall details.

I wish that I had developed a better skill in active listening when I was younger. I compensate by taking ridiculously detailed notes. If I don't write it down and SEE it rather than just hear it, it goes in one ear and out the other. Sometimes it would be nice to be able to just sit and listen and know that I'll remember most of what I'm listening to.

Same here. My class "notes" in college were more like transcripts. I needed to write it all down. Ruined my wrist!