Menu

Put-In-Bay

Is anyone familiar with Put-In-Bay? Hubby and I are planning a trip there to celebrate our 10th anniversary in the Spring. Our anniversary is in March, but we are thinking about going there in either April or May because the weather will be better. Any thoughts about visiting there in these months?

Which boat do you like for going over to the island? The Jet Express or Miller Ferries?

Any thoughts about staying at the Put-In-Bay Resort and Conference Center? What about the Bayshore Resort?

Sights to see? Things to do? Places to eat? We'll probably stay 2 nights.

Thanks. :001_smile:

Edited by momtolgd

Just bumping to tell you that though I've never been there, dh used to make frequent trips as a college student. I'll ask him about it.

Though he may not remember any of his trips - he probably had different reasons for going than you are thinking of.:D

Seriously, we've been talking about taking a family trip there, so I'll pick his brain and get back to you!

We went there a month or two ago, and it was about the lamest thing ever. Sorry, but I wouldn't do that for a 10th anniversary. We did Niagara (just a couple hours farther) and that was AWESOME.

I guess that's just really negative about Put-in-Bay. Maybe I should put it more nicely. It totally wasn't our style. You get off the boat, which is VERY expensive btw, and it's a big drinking fest. So is the mainland where the boat departs from. There's open drinking and carousing at the boarding place. You get there and it's basically a party island. We climbed Perry's tower (cool, great view, but blink and it's over). It's just not really that great if you don't drink or party, kwim? Of course I know someone (who happens to drink) who has a place up there for the weekends and barhops with friends. If you don't drink, it's all sort of lame.

Where are you and how far do you want to go? NY isn't much further from there, and it's so beautiful, so romantic. The waterfalls would be beautiful and full in the spring... We stayed at Letchworth, did a balloon ride, just terribly romantic. Niagara is romantic, even with kids.

Well maybe someone else will come along who has had a different experience with PutInBay and that area, but for us it just wasn't a good fit. I'd go elsewhere, anywhere else.

Thank you for your reply OhElizabeth. I appreciate your thoughts because I would like to know the good and the bad! Hubby's parents took our two older kids to Kelley's Island by Put-In-Bay a couple years ago and they had a great time. DH and I were really wanting to go on a cruise, but can't really afford that, so we are looking for something closer to home.

We live about 2 hours southwest of Port Clinton (where the Jet express is) in Ohio. Niagara Falls is about 6 1/2 hours from us. We actually went to the Canada side of Niagara Falls for our honeymoon! We did really enjoy it, but are looking for something closer to home and somewhere we haven't already been.

DH mentioned Put-In-Bay because it is on the lake and we really enjoy being by the water. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

DH does drink, but I'm not much of a drinker. The scenery around us would be why I would want to go there.

OhElizabeth...were you there during the week or on the weekend? We had talked about going during the week because the cost for a hotel is cut in half during the week, and because there may be less of the big party atmosphere. I was just wondering if that part is true.

I imagine that would help immensely. We were there on a Saturday.

You realize you're making this too hard. All you have to do is get a nice hotel room with a jacuzzi next to the Cabela's up in Michigan. :)

(just joking)

Have you considered Mackinac Island? Just beautiful. I forget when you're thinking about going. If it's in the fall, you absolutely need reservations. We did Mackinac for our honeymoon, way back when. :)