Menu

Need help choosing: First Language Lessons 1&2 or 3?

Guest my3sons

Guest my3sons

Hi! I'm new on here, but am sure there are some of you more seasoned homeschoolers who can help me. I have 2 sons that I want to start First Language Lessons with this year. They are almost-8 and 6 1/2. I haven't done a whole lot of LA for either of them, but they are both good readers. I want to start with something more consistent and solid and have decided that FLL is a good fit. Do I start with book 1&2 for both of them, or should I just start with book 3? Does book 3 cover most/all of everything in book 2? Thanks in advance!

Hmmm - I think for the 6 year old I would start with FLL1. I wouldn't even try FLL3 at that age.

For your almost 8 yo, that's a bit trickier. He may be able to start with FLL3 (Is he doing 3rd grade work? or second grade?) It is possible to start FLL3 without doing 1&2. And if I thought he was ready that's probably what I would do and just go more slowly if I found that some parts were more difficult.

The problem I see with using FLL1&2 for both is that the older will always be a bit behind and eventually it will not be challeging.

Those are just my thoughts, I'm sure you'll get a variety of opinions!

I would start the little one in 1/2, definitely.

The bigger one I'd put in 1/2 also, starting at the first level, but speeding it up by skipping the redundant lessons and doubling up on the easiest. He could easily do the whole book in a school year this way and be ready for FLL 3 next fall. If he's solidly in third grade work and memorizing easily, you could give 3 a chance. Buzzing through 1/2 just to pick up the parts of speech and get the verb and preposition lists memorized would give him a headstart on 3.

eta: My now fourth grader did all of 1/2 in third grade, and started 3 this past spring. She's moving at a steady pace and will be ready for R&S 5 by the beginning of fifth grade.

Edited by SilverMoon

:iagree:

While we're brand new, that's what we're doing with our just turned 8 second grader. Started at the very beginning and moving at a brisk pace, but ensuring he understands everything we do. Looking to finish by end of our first year.

Jim

Guest my3sons

Thank you for all your suggestions! I think I will order 1&2 for both kids, and move through things as quickly as needed for my oldest son (like silvermoon suggested). I just want to make sure that I don't miss or skip anything fundamental. :)

Thank you for all your suggestions! I think I will order 1&2 for both kids, and move through things as quickly as needed for my oldest son (like silvermoon suggested). I just want to make sure that I don't miss or skip anything fundamental. :)

Marianne,

I would like to suggest you look at buying the Cd for this, it was *very* helpful for my son in learning all the various lists. He still loves to chant his prepositions and verbs. It also helped him memorize the poems (which you could do with your younger ds).

Just wanted to put a plug in for the CD.

Blessings,

Guest my3sons

Thanks! I'll look into that. My oldest son is definitely an auditory learner and I'm sure that would help him :)

Marianne,

I would like to suggest you look at buying the Cd for this, it was *very* helpful for my son in learning all the various lists. He still loves to chant his prepositions and verbs. It also helped him memorize the poems (which you could do with your younger ds).

Blessings,

Marianne,

:iagree:

I was going to suggest this as well. We all walk around singing the songs and it even helps my 12yo in terms of reinforcement... although he'd probably never admit it. :tongue_smilie: