Menu

Give me your best art storage ideas

I have a rubbermaid box full of 6 years of kids art. It is all labeled with the kid and their age. My original plan was to include it in their scrapbooks but that probably isn't going to happen. I know a bunch of it will need to get thrown away because I've saved too much. What do I do with the rest? I have almost no storage space (which is why I need to go through the box). Help!!

I have a rubbermaid box full of 6 years of kids art. It is all labeled with the kid and their age. My original plan was to include it in their scrapbooks but that probably isn't going to happen. I know a bunch of it will need to get thrown away because I've saved too much. What do I do with the rest? I have almost no storage space (which is why I need to go through the box). Help!!

I take pictures of things I don't want to keep. Each kid has a giant Ziploc for their drawings and paintings, and I have one small Rubbermaid for their pottery.

My son has a penchant for drawing. So much so that we had stacks and stacks of drawings around the house. He tends to draw in theme...he'll go through a Tom and Jerry spurt, or Dr. Seuss, and draw a series of drawings related to that theme. Just in the last few weeks, I sorted the drawings into topics or themes, then we went through all the drawings and picked the best, tossed the rest (I made him participate in this). Then I set him up with some binders and page protectors. I put dividers in the binders labeled according to categories and taught him how to put the drawings in. Now he has binders full of his artwork that he can show friends and family, and finally his art is under control!

For things other than drawings, I like the idea of the giant ziploc. Or if it's not flat, maybe a plastic bin with a lid.

For display purposes (for drawings or paintings) consider the DaVinci frames. They open up sort of like a cabinet and you can keep several pages in at the same time and can easily rotate them. http://partyplansplus.com/davinci.htm

We scan the flat stuff and photograph the collages/projects then have it bound each year into a hardcover book by one of the online digital imaging places. The bound books also make great christmas gifts for grandparents.

We also have 2 under the bed storage boxes for each kid to keep a few of their absolute favorite pieces from each year.

If you scrapbook... here are a few suggestions...

1. Keep the best of the best! Frame them or put them in the scrapbooks!
  2. Pick a few samples from each year and put in an album to show progress & changes in interest etc.
  3. BEFORE YOU TOSS THE REST..... hang them on a wall or use the front of the refrigerator to hang as many as you can (I suggest grouping them by year or subject)..... have the darling artist stand by his/her work.... take a great photograph or 2! Save the photo & toss the paper!
  4. Final option: BEFORE YOU TOSS THE REST... scan them & save them. Print out individual photos and make several pages in a scrapbook... AHHHH HAAAA!!!, an even better idea..... or take these photos and work them into an album (ASPIRING ARTIST or other great title) and put it all together. Keep adding new stuff as they work!