Menu

Deceptively Delicious -- IT WORKED!!!!

I've been wanting to try some of the recipes in Jessica Seinfeld's book Deceptively Delicious for quite some time. A few weeks ago I bought a food processor and a bunch of the veggies she recommends and I pureed and froze for future use.

Great news if you haven't tried this yet!!! I made my own spaghetti sauce the other night with carrots and it was wonderful. I made the brownies according to her recipe with carrots and spinach and prayed that the kids woud like them. THEY DO!!!! Just last night I realized I actually goofed and used carrots and alvocado instead -- still worked. This morning I made the peanut butter and jelly cupcakes with carrots and they loved them!!!

I am so happy that this may be a successful way to get lots of great vitamins, antioxidants and fiber into my kids diets.

Angie

P.S. If you puree or are interested in doing so, I recommend freezing the purees differently than in her book. I put all of my purees into ice cube trays and froze them, then popped them out and put them in freezer bags. So easy to freeze and use later. Each cube is about 1 oz of puree.

P.S. If you puree or are interested in doing so, I recommend freezing the purees differently than in her book. I put all of my purees into ice cube trays and froze them, then popped them out and put them in freezer bags. So easy to freeze and use later. Each cube is about 1 oz of puree.

:iagree: I freeze them in cupcake tins which are 1/4 cup portions. Sure makes them easy to use.

I do not own the book but I have been sneaking veggies and fiber into my yahoos diets since they could eat. We are a family of adventurous eaters but they still could use to eat more veggies and fiber. To be honest the biggest target of my sneakiness is DH. He is not a veggie eater and he has fallen to my tricks for the past 14 years..... It is a way of life

samba in sac

My SIL was staying with us this summer and she had DD with her. I read through it and made one of the recipes and thought I would order the book. When I got to Amazon and read reviews, I changed my mind and bought The Sneaky Chief. I'm glad I did because I like it even better. In fact, I spent most of the day yesterday making recipes from it (I freeze things) and every one has been a hit when my kids did taste tests. DD generally uses one ingredient purees and TSC uses multiple ingredients in it's purees. It has a section up front for making sneaky additions up front (breadcrumb mixtures, green purees, white purees, orange purees etc.). Then you add these to things when you cook. I tend to cook in batches so this works very well for me. I like that TSC gives me lists of foods in which I can use the make ahead additions. For me, this style works better. I would read through the reviews of both books on Amazon and see which book would better suit you. I think they both have their merits.

HTH,

Juls