Menu

cooking dry beans question

For those that are frequent bean eaters....do you really think it's a big savings to use dry vs. canned when you have to cook them for so many hours? Typically I try to plan ahead and do dried but today I was wondering if it was really all that worthwhile when they are on the stove with the gas on for several hours. Thoughts?

Yes, I definitely think there is a savings. As Jean said, it's more worthwhile if you can cook up a large quantity of beans at once and save them.

Also, if you soak for a full 24 hours, the cooking time really is reduced. You can even soak for 24 hours, change out the water, bring it to a full boil, put the lid on and turn the heat off and leave for a couple of hours -- the cooking time will be reduced even more. Of course, to do this, you do have to plan ahead by a day, and that's where I occasionally get tripped up.

I keep cans on hand "for emergencies". But I definitely think that, day to day, it's healthier and cheaper to cook my own.

Thank you ladies! I have to say - it has *never* occurred to me to cook more than one bag at once. How obvious is that?

I almost always soak for a full 24 hours too, simply because I forget about them on the stove.

It sounds like it's worthwhile - and it is what I've been doing, I just had this moment where I wondered if I was putting time to this for nothing kwim?

Another trick I have discovered is to cook with the cover on - like rice. Do not lift the cover, let them simmer on low for 1 1/2 to 2 hours and beans are done nice and tender. Also do not use salt because then they take forever for some reason. I cook my beans at night using plain old water, then the next morning I put my cooked beans in the crock pot with whatever spices, etc., I plan to use and let them slow cook all day.

I should also mention I always let my beans soak for at least 24 hours until they start to ferment (a squirt of lemon juice helps the process...) This neutralizes the phytic acid so they aren't gassy.