Menu

Music = ARG!

phathui5

Story of the Orchestra! Great book on the different musical instruments and the composers of the world and it comes with a CD :-)

We did story of the Orchestra with our co-op and it was a big hit. That was two years ago when ds was in third grade.

For fourth and fifth grade (we just began fifth grade) we're doing 8 great masters, one each month. We do each master four times (once a week). We use books form the library, classicsforkids.com and other freebies. If you'd like to see how we do it, look under my sig and download the enrichment curriculum from my co-op. It spells everything out.

Last, be sure you have wonderful music of all kinds playing in your house. I download pieces from each composer and put them in my iPod. This first month we're doing Vivaldi, and my son hums the first movement from The Four Seasons when he's playing Legos and he doesn't even realize it.

Another easy option: We use the What Your xx Grader Needs to Know books along w/ Rod and Staff's music course. R&S is inexpensive music theory. Then we spice it up w/ the What Your... Books. We do a section at a time, and check out books and videos and C.Ds. We also learn a song a week from the book. The songs are usually on a Wee Sings C.D.