Menu

Easy Grammar question

ocean_eyes

Hi all...

This is our first year of homeschooling. DSS came out of 5th grade/public school in May and turned 11 in June. We've been doing a light math review for the last few months, using Singapore Extra Practice. Things are going well, but I've noticed DSS's writing to be really lacking in proper grammar usage. He insists he has not learned much grammar in public school, and given what I regularly see when he writes letters and such, I am inclined to believe that while it was probably taught, he was not absorbing the lessons.

He told me he really likes workbooks, so while I know they are not necessarily preferred, I think he would do well with a workbook style grammar book.

So, and I truly apologize for the length of this, I am wondering if you think Easy Grammar 5/6 (teacher's edition) would be okay to use. I read on Amazon that it introduces 53 prepositions. Do the earlier books introduce other prepositions that are not included in this book?

I like that the teacher's edition includes how to teach grammar and includes the answers to the worksheets all in the same book. Plus, even though he would technically be in 6th grade, maybe starting with the 5th grade lessons would help him make up for what he didn't learn last year in PS.

Thoughts? Thank you! :)

I think that starting with the Grade 5 book would be good choice.

Have you checked out Rod & Staff? Their grammar is really good. I would start out with the Grade 5 though because they tend to be ahead. My 6th grade son is doing their grade 5 english. They aren't workbooks, but the kids have their books and I just have them write their answers in a notebook and all the answers are in the teacher's book.

Well, I don't know if I was much help at all but thought I would give my 2 cents!! :D

Hi Melissa,

I think if your son likes workbooks, then Easy Grammar 5/6 would be a great choice. Easy Grammar redid the style of their books a couple of years ago, so the new ones go by just one grade at a time, the older style combined years. I prefer the combined year style.

Your son is very likely telling you the full truth he did not learn any indepth grammar in 5th. I know that in my area, they tend to start teaching grammar at about 6 or 7th grade.

If you buy 5/6, try and find a teachers edition as the teachers edition has the unworked workbook page on one side, and on the opposite side, the worked version. My daughter just folds the book over and doesn't look at the answers until she is done.

Easy Grammar is a gentle, good choice for an introduction to grammar. Each lesson is one day and will not take more than 15 minutes.

Easy Grammar has some of the combined teachers books on clearance for $8.00 plus shipping http://www.easygrammar.com/sale.html

You can call them to order.

You asked about the earlier books, the earlier books do introduce prepositions, only not as many. He will be just fine with the 5/6...

I personally think he will enjoy the book.

Just a thought...

I think grammar workbooks are great, and I really like Easy Grammar. But, I wonder if some copywork or dictation might be also helpful. For instance, if you see a grammar mistake he has made, and you somehow work in some dictation that incorporates the area of trouble. I think the process of actually writing out a grammatically correct sentence can be more helpful than circling or labeling something in a workbook. I haven't used Rod and Staff but I imagine if you had a grammar book like that you could do some aloud having him speak grammatically correct full sentence and then write some out--a multi-sensory approach. Doing something like this might give you the chance to talk about specific points of grammar and that might help solidify understanding.

HTH!