Menu

Two science programs at the same time?

momto2Cs

I want to do both science-y science (using Milestones in Science - Thames & Kosmos), and do nature studies using the One Small Square series.

How do you balance two science programs with a 1st grader and a 3rd grader? I was thinking of doing the bookwork, etc. for each once per week, and then dh could do the Milestones projects on the weekends.

We're do more than one science program during the year and I either stagger them depending on length or assign special days M-F for each program. I use weekends for rest and finishing up anything we didn't finish during the week. The kids know that they need to stay on task during the week because they don't like to do hs on weekends. :)

I have a 1st grader.

I'm doing the Outdoor Nature Hour thing on Mondays. (I have 1 hour slotted.)

Tues, Wed, & Thurs that same hour is for other science. We are going to begin with the Usborne Science Activities (the water section). Once that is done (3-4 weeks), I will do some of RS4K....maybe all of it. I also need to throw in the science that will be covered at the ps (plants, weather, etc) and the science dd has requested (baby chicks, how bees make honey).

Since I have never hs'd before, I only have the first 4 weeks (Nature study and Usborne) really planned. I will have to see how the rest fits in. I'm thinking maybe some sort of unit study or project that will incorporate some of the other subjects....thus giving us more time to spend on all of that fun science! Art is in the Friday time slot, but maybe we'll skip phonics and English on Friday and do some more science.

My goal this year is to show my dd how fun learning can be....science is a really good way to do that!