Menu

Anterior Placenta Placement and C-Section

I went for my 20wk appointment today. I have yet to feel this (our 4th) baby move at all. I brought this concern up to the Dr and after consulting my chart he mentioned that my placenta is Anterior.

I asked what that could mean when it comes to the c-section and we discussed the issues that could arise if the placenta does not move higher.

So my question is, have any of you had this situation? Did your placenta move up? If it didn't did you have any complications during/after the c-section?

I am concerned that it will not move out of the way. I am a red head to start with (we bleed more!), have very low blood pressure and have a hard time keeping my iron up (I walk the line of anemic all the time, pregnant or not). This pregnancy was a very big surprise and my body had not yet totally healed from my 3rd baby. I am worried that all these things could result in a bad situation come delivery.

Anyway I was just wondering if anyone else had this situation.

I had a low lying placenta (don't remember if it was anterior), and it did move up enough for me to avoid a c-section. I recall doing a lot of research online, and it helped me get a handle on my condition. Did you get any numbers on how far it is from the cervix? Are you going to need a c-section regardless?

Try WebMD, and even just google for info. If you are like me, information is empowering!

:grouphug:

I was diagnosed with an anterior placenta around 20 weeks during my last pregnancy. I had already had three previous c-sections, so the need for a fourth was not a surprise. I was sent in for a level II ultrasound. In my case the placenta did not move, as I had previa and percreta. I was also anemic and had very low BP. I was put on bedrest for most of the pregnancy, and had a lengthy hospital stay prior to delivery.

Not that this will be the situation in your case... :) I was told that in most cases when the anterior placenta diagnosis was made around 20 weeks, the placenta does indeed move... just not in my case. Feel free to send me a PM.

HTH!

Edited by geniva