Menu

Opinions on Abeka Language B for a rising 6th grader?

Stacy in NJ

My oldest is in need of some serious grammar next year. We've concentrated more on writing and did grammar light this year (5th), using GUM periodically. He completed R&S 3 in 3rd and JAG in 4th. He finds diagraming easy and really knows his parts of speech. I'd like him to spend some more time on mechanics. I really cringe when I think about returning to R&S. Although I agree that it's rigorous, the style is just to dry for me. I understand that Abeka's is a worktext and somewhat colorful, that is appealing. Also, according to Cathy Duff Abeka includes tons of review, which I also find appealing.

Has anyone used Language B and can offer a review? I've looked at the samples online, but can't really get a feel for the complete text.

Thanks, Stacy:)

as a 5th grader having absolutely NO grammar background at all (I pulled him out of public school that year.) When I say NO I mean he really, honestly did not know what a noun was.

I switched to R&S for 6th, but even so I'd bet with that background your ds has, he'd be fine in Abeka C.

I used the entire series with my older son and like it. My younger son will be doing level B for fifth grade, next year.

It is a workbook style text, meant for classroom use, so there may be more exercises than you want. We do complete most of them, but we do some of them orally, or I modify them so that they can make corrections in the book, rather than recopying lots of things.

There is ample diagramming practice. I find it a rigorous program.

Not sure what else you might like to know?

Regena

About 1/3 of the book at the back is the writing portion. We seldom did all of it, but some of the info was good. I don't remember which writing lessons are in the back, but it's usually a book report/reserch report/letter writing or something, along with a few others, depending on the level. I always had writing objectives for the year that /somtimes/ were the ones included, but usually, I had another writing curriculum planned. I always bought it ONLY for the grammar, which I was very happy with and we went through 4 levels of it.

With my older son, we generally read through it for the info, but did not do their projects, as he was already doing Writing Strands and later other, outside writing projects, as well. He was also doing regular reports in history and science, etc.

With my younger son, this year, he's not doing as much other written work as my older son did at his age. We did do the biographical report earlier this year and perhaps another one or two of their writing assignments (that's for level A). Next year, I hope to have him doing a larger variety of writing, and if he is, then we'll skip the assignments in Abeka, simply reading over them for the info.

Regena