Menu

considering a math change to Singapore from MUS

razorbackmama

We are using MUS right now. We've been using it for several months, and it's going OK. For my oldest (toward the end of Epsilon), I'd say it's a very good fit. For my others, honestly I think we could all take it or leave it. My 2nd son is about halfway through Delta, and he's doing very well with it. Math comes very easily to him (despite what he thinks;) ).

I've been tempted by Singapore for YEARS. We actually used it way back when we first started homeschooling and my oldest was in K-1st. But at that time I was such a newbie, and they didn't have the home instructor guides, so I didn't really know just how to teach it, since it was so different and used different terminology and such. I would feel much more comfortable now with it.;) I've always thought that it provides THE best education in math, but I've hesitated since I've always been unsure of where to go AFTER (and I have another thread about that). MUS is working, but I just feel that Singapore is a stronger math program overall. My 2nd especially could quite feasibly end up in some sort of science/engineering field, and he somewhat thinks mathematically naturally anyway.

So now that I'm getting some ideas of where to go after Primary Math, I'm considering a switch. But I have some questions:

1) Is there built-in review? Or would I need one of the supplemental workbooks for that?

2) For "normal" math students, is it pretty independent? Or would I need to present each lesson and work alongside them (more than just helping them with a problem now and then)?

3) Should I just leave well enough alone? Since MUS is working, should I just not fix what isn't broken?:blushing:

Edited by razorbackmama
added more specifics to the title

I just feel that Singapore is a stronger math program overall.

:iagree: and I've used MUS from K through Algebra, fwiw. We did supplement with Singapore's CWP.

But at that time I was such a newbie, and they didn't have the home instructor guides, so I didn't really know just how to teach it, since it was so different and used different terminology and such.

I had the same experience around 2nd grade, except I had the HIG. :glare:

3) Should I just leave well enough alone? Since MUS is working, should I just not fix what isn't broken?:blushing:

What concerns me here is consistency. If you've only been using MUS for several months, you've perhaps used other program(s) before? I think you have to weigh the advantages of using a good program (MUS) consistently to jumping in mid-stream to the best program (Singapore). I like consistency, but there are others who would see that as a disadvantage. I think only you can answer this question.

This post reminds me of a thought-provoking post on the high school board that helped me with my own struggles:

"The best is the enemy of the good"...

The thread rambles for a while, but gets back on track around post #14.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

What concerns me here is consistency. If you've only been using MUS for several months, you've perhaps used other program(s) before? I think you have to weigh the advantages of using a good program (MUS) consistently to jumping in mid-stream to the best program (Singapore). I like consistency, but there are others who would see that as a disadvantage. I think only you can answer this question.

This post reminds me of a thought-provoking post on the high school board that helped me with my own struggles:

"The best is the enemy of the good"...

The thread rambles for a while, but gets back on track around post #14.

PRECISELY my thoughts. We used BJU math for several years and did like it, but once HomeSat disappeared I had to find something different because it was too teacher intensive for me to teach with several children on several different levels. We tried MOTL for a little while, but that didn't work out at all. That's when we came to MUS.

I DO want to be consistent, because I think jumping around can lead to some major holes and confusion on the child's part. To be honest, Singapore was one of my choices back when I was looking for something after MOTL, and the only reason I chose MUS over it was because of the whole "what will I use after this?" factor.

Thanks for that thread - I will check it out!

I think another reason I'm considering a switch, especially for everyone other than my oldest, is that at this point in time they haven't really learned anything new with MUS. We've spent these past few months finding the spot in the curriculum where they are learning something new, and we just aren't quite there yet with them. It has all been review, but it's been GOOD review for them.;) I guess that's why I don't think a switch for them would be that huge of a deal at this point. My oldest, yes, since he's almost done with the elementary portion of MUS. So I was planning to just keep him in that.

But I still don't know.:confused: