Menu

What subject do you start the day with (rutlady)

This is the second year I'm homeschooling 2 (fourth and seventh this year). Last year we alternated between language arts first and then sometimes math first, each take about 40 minutes and a good chunk of our morning. Sometimes one duaghter will start the language while I work wwith the other on math and then switch. It doesn't always work smoothly. Hoping to keep learning routines that work. I'd like to have a nice 15 minute devotion time but I don't have anything structured so sometimes we do it at night. Also I am always trying to stay open to different "rhythms" for our day.

Thanks for helping me out of this rut. We start with bible, saints and catechism first thing before math, but I never considered that a subject :) I think I will try history or science first and then let them go at math. I was a lot more confident about letting my older children pick the order of their day than I am with these two, probably because we have so much more going on now.

My 9yo starts the day with piano, then works on his math.

My 15yo starts the day with reading. (He's not a morning person, so I've found that letting him read after breakfast is best -- then he usually does his math right after that).

I try to have all seatwork completed by lunchtime. Then, after lunch, we do the messy subjects of art and science!