Menu

Anyone been to Galveston lately?

We are thinking of packing up the kiddos and heading down to the beach. We haven't been since before the kiddos were born, so it's been awhile! Anyone been down there this summer...how is it down there since the hurricane? Can you recommend a good place to stay and things to do.

Thanks!

I haven't been in several years, but we used to live about an hour away. My parents say that most of the restraunts and hotels are up and running. There are some parts of town that are still in bad shape. Beaches are open, there is Schlitterbahn, Moody Gardens (you can look up their website, I've never been, but have a lot of friends who love it). I'm not sure how much of the Strand (mostly shops) is open. Last I heard, some of it was still closed.

Check with Rich with kids, she lives in that area and has a shop on the strand.

We were down there a month or so ago. The beachs were in rough shape. All of the docks are gone and there was a lot of trash washing up like glass, bricks, boards, etc. I would be very careful about playing in the water, be sure to wear shoes.

I think that most of the shops and restaurants on the wall were up and running though. We drove through the stand and it looked like there were many shops that were not back in operation.

I don't know if this being experienced by anyone else because I haven't talked to others who went at the same time we did, but we've been nursing my dd6's arm with a boil/staph infection that popped up two days after being down there. We went to Stewart Beach. I don't know if she was just more susceptible to the bacteria that's there or not, but just wanted to let you know to protect any open wounds or bug bites and be sure to wash off with soap and shampoo when you're done to be safe. We also heard of a guy who had some mosquito bites on his leg and went to Padre in South Texas and he came back with a staph infection too. The bacteria count was high there apparently. It's not been fun and it's difficult to get rid of quickly.

Wow, the beaches sound like they might be a bit rough! I have been looking at some live webcams over the weekend and there seemed to be a lot of people out on the beaches.

Thanks for the tips and I will check with Rich with Kids!!

I don't know if this being experienced by anyone else because I haven't talked to others who went at the same time we did, but we've been nursing my dd6's arm with a boil/staph infection that popped up two days after being down there. We went to Stewart Beach. I don't know if she was just more susceptible to the bacteria that's there or not, but just wanted to let you know to protect any open wounds or bug bites and be sure to wash off with soap and shampoo when you're done to be safe. We also heard of a guy who had some mosquito bites on his leg and went to Padre in South Texas and he came back with a staph infection too. The bacteria count was high there apparently. It's not been fun and it's difficult to get rid of quickly.

I didn't see your post until after I posted...and here I was worried about my kids seeing a lot of thong swimsuits.:tongue_smilie:

Sounds like that will be the least of my worries! Maybe we should just go to Sea World instead!