Menu

Another Question: Writing Strands v. Classical Writing

SparrowsNest

Let's imagine you had two 10y/o children of equal writing skills. You took one off for four years and taught him using Writing Strands 3-6. The other child used Classical Writing for the same four years, using Aesop, Homer, the Poetry course, then Diogenes.

What would happen at the end of the experiment? What would be the differences, if any, in the children's writing skills by the end of the four years? Which child would likely have an easier time picking up, say, Lord of the Flies, reading it, and producing a coherent, engaging essay on an assigned topic?

~Marcia, Full of Questions :)

Mom to Six Great Kids

Let's imagine you had two 10y/o children of equal writing skills. You took one off for four years and taught him using Writing Strands 3-6. The other child used Classical Writing for the same four years, using Aesop, Homer, the Poetry course, then Diogenes.

What would happen at the end of the experiment? What would be the differences, if any, in the children's writing skills by the end of the four years? Which child would likely have an easier time picking up, say, Lord of the Flies, reading it, and producing a coherent, engaging essay on an assigned topic?=

I don't know, but I don't want this thread to sink down and get lost, so I'm posting that I'm lurking with great interest.

Well if you get to Diognes in CW and WS 6 you will have covered more types of essays in WS. Maxim (which is the only one out right now) starts the expository essay but needs Cheria for more intensive expository essays. According to descriptions (since these aren't out yet) The book after that will do argumentative writing.

WS3 - 6 will cover those things.

As to which will be "better". It's really impossible to say and definately a function on your student. CW requires alot of deep thought and analysis. Some kids really get into that and it really helps them learn to write. For other kids that's just alot of distration. For some kids the WS approach won't provide the details and examples needed. Many people really hate WS.

But if you just look at what is actually covered - WS will cover more variety. Most would say that CW does what it does cover in more depth.

I used Writing Strands for a very short period of time with my boys before I switched to Imitations in Writing. Once the workbook and IG came out for CW, I moved to that program, and I plan to stay there until we finish the series.

I was not impressed with Writing Strands. The assignments were arbitrary; the one I distinctly remember and despise was the assignment instructing the child to describe a pencil. It taught a little arrangement and style, but no process was given for invention. It definitely uses the modern writing approach.

What I really like about CW is that their approach uses the classical Greek progymnasmata (preliminary rhetorical exercises). Classical rhetoric is divided into 5 parts: invention, arrangement, style, memory, and delivery. The progynmasmata exercises familiarize the students with these elements of rhetoric. CW teaches these exercises through theory, analysis & imitation, and practice. There is just so much more depth in the writing instruction through CW in my opinion.

At the end of 4 years would their writing look the same? I'm going to say "no". I'm sure some will disagree with me, but that's why we are probably taking different approaches to writing already. In my opinion, modern writing does not teach invention, therefore, their work will lack depth and the proper attention to the other parts of classical rhetoric (arrangement & style). Both students will end up being able to write a 5 paragraph essay, but it will be the quality of writing that is different.

I'm hesitant to post this, but this is what I believe which directs how I instruct writing in our homeschool.

I was not impressed with Writing Strands. The assignments were arbitrary; the one I distinctly remember and despise was the assignment instructing the child to describe a pencil. It taught a little arrangement and style, but no process was given for invention. It definitely uses the modern writing approach.

What I really like about CW is that their approach uses the classical Greek progymnasmata (preliminary rhetorical exercises). Classical rhetoric is divided into 5 parts: invention, arrangement, style, memory, and delivery. The progynmasmata exercises familiarize the students with these elements of rhetoric. CW teaches these exercises through theory, analysis & imitation, and practice. There is just so much more depth in the writing instruction through CW in my opinion.

At the end of 4 years would their writing look the same? I'm going to say "no". I'm sure some will disagree with me, but that's why we are probably taking different approaches to writing already. In my opinion, modern writing does not teach invention, therefore, their work will lack depth and the proper attention to the other parts of classical rhetoric (arrangement & style). Both students will end up being able to write a 5 paragraph essay, but it will be the quality of writing that is different.

Many thanks for the response, Beth. I think the "modern v. classical" is most helpful in figuring out what exactly these programs offer!

I have another question... does Writing Strands (or some other writing program) cover practical writing skills (letter writing, addressing an envelope, Thank You notes, a letter to the editor, etc.)? Is that in the R&S Grammar scope and sequence?

In the WS scope & sequence from the older version of Evaluating Writing, I only see letter writing under Level 2.

R&S teaches Friendly letters (which includes thank you letters) in 3rd grade. Addresses are taught in 4th grade along with book reports. Business letters are taught in 6th grade. The students are also taught to address friendly and business envelopes.

Thanks again, Beth! You know I have to say I was horrified when a few weeks ago I tossed an envelope to my oldest (8th grade) with instructions to address it and he had NO IDEA what to do! Obviously his ps wasn't using Rod and Staff! ;)

I think I'm going to go with Classical Writing (OK, or maybe Classical Composition). Even though I plan to send ds10 (the one I'll be hsing next year) to private high school after 4 years at home, perhaps we can just continue on with the writing program so he will get all the benefits of it. Writing is *such* a crucial skill, I just don't think I can leave that to chance!