Menu

Adding in SL read-alouds and readers?

melmichigan

This is our second year homeschooling and we are doing SOTW 1 for history, along with another spine for my older DD doing the same time frame. I have heard wonderful things about SL and was wondering if it possible to just add the read-alouds and readers? I know there are study guides for the readers and my library carries most of them so that would be minimal cost. I was planning on just starting at Core 1 for read-alouds and move forward at our pace since I don't know of any guides for those. (I am well over budget for this years curriculum. :)) I was also looking at the Audio Memory Geography Kit, anyone with experience with it? Has anyone taken this approach? How well did it work? Other suggestions? Thanks!

Edited by melmichigan

We added the SL read-alouds and readers for SOTW 3/Core 3. I wanted something to emphasize the American History aspect of SOTW 3. We did a little of the history reading from SL, as well.

It worked well for us, and I liked most of the selections. I didn't find the study guides (the ones in the SL Instructor's Guide) too useful, though. They were more comprehension questions. Since then I have viewed the Teaching the Classics DVDs and found them a much better investment than buying study guides for literature study. JMHO!

We are also doing Sonlight Read-Alouds from Core 1 and Readers from 2 and 2 Intermediate. I am getting most of the books from the library and I bought the IG. I print the questions from each book out and make the 7 year-old write out the answer to each question when she hits that segment of the book. She did really well with it so far.