Menu

I have kefir grains in milk in the frig. They've been there

Well I always left mine out on the counter and two days was plenty. But when I went on vacation and put them in the fridge a week was not enough to get the milk kefirized. You may find that the milk is not fully done but it would not be bad, as it has been refridgerated, just milder.

I would simply get a strainer (with small enough holes to retain the grains) and a larger bowl and strain them. Shake out the excess milk gently with a back and forth...left and right movement. What is left is the kefir grains with a bit of milk clinging on them. Simple put them back in a container with more milk. You can leave it on the counter but you would need to watch it more and be willing to tolerate a stronger flavor. The kefirized milk can be put in the fridge for a few days or used immediately.

HTH!!

I pour milk onto the grains. Do I need to wash the jar before I put the grains back in? How much milk do I put on top of the grains? Am I suppose to use something special on the jar lid? How long do I leave them on the counter?

Thanks so much!

Molly

I pour milk onto the grains. Do I need to wash the jar before I put the grains back in? How much milk do I put on top of the grains? Am I suppose to use something special on the jar lid? How long do I leave them on the counter?

Thanks so much!

Molly

I did not wash my jar each time, just when it seemed to need it.

The milk should be about 80-90% of the jar contents. You can do less if you want, it will just kefirize faster (gee the spelling of that does not seem right???).

Never put a tight lid on it as the pressure will cause problems. Loose lid of any kind....I would just sit the one for the container on top without screwing it on. For a wide mouthed bowl I used a plate...just enough to keep dust and stuff out and to keep it from drying up on top.

In the summer, you would have to wait about 24 hours.....the temperature of the room plays a part and it is more of an art than a science.

Have you looked a Dom's site? http://users.sa.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefirpage.html

I think this is the one but it looks a bit different. It is certainly Dom's style...he had a beyond comprehensive site last time I was there.

I loved making Kefir but my family stopped drinking it...my hubbie called them "the aliens" and the kids followed suit. I made it for myself for a while but I was so successful I could not consume it all. I finally quit when my heart burn started to be a problem.

Best of Luck! Enjoy!

Edited by Once