Menu

TOPS Science has new website + supplies

I wrote to the owner of TOPS Science a few months ago asking if he could suggest to me where to buy a few of the harder-to-find supplies that I would need for some of their units. (I am not a shopper!) He told me that they were getting ready to update their website and soon they would be offering supplies as well. He allowed me a sneak peek of the website, and I helped to propel him to find the supplies I needed and get that website updated.

My book and supplies came yesterday, and I found that their website has now been updated. I wanted to let others know that you can now purchase supplies as well as the TOPS units. TOPS is linked in my signature, and no, I'm not getting any kickback for advertising.

If you don't know anything about TOPS, here are a few threads with more information:

Anyone use TOPS science??

TOPS science - need help deciding on which units

For anyone who has used TOPS for science...

• 2 weeks later...

We have only used Rocks & Minerals so far. Dh and ds just started Machines last week and will do Electricity next.

Here are some threads with more information:

For anyone who has used TOPS for science...

Anyone use TOPS Science?

TOPS Primary Lentil Science

TOPS Science?

TOPS Science - Need help deciding on which units

We've used electricity and magnetism and plan to use (some of) corn and beans and radishes this year.

TOPS manages to do for science what RightStart does for math. The lessons are not at all formal or didactic. Instead there is a very gentle sort of guidance that brings the learner to the point of "getting it" without direct instruction. There is no memorization (required), but my ds has learned much in context. There is no rule that is set forth, rather the rule is internalized through first completing the experiment, then explained directly after the concept is understood.

This was hard for me when we started using RS, (Why don't they just teach the kids borrowing instead of all this hoo-haa with the abacus?) but when I saw how thoroughly my ds understood the concepts, I was sold.

Now if I could just get off my duff and start all the collecting and copying to implement "Lentil Science..."

Last year we did Pressure and Buoyancy, Pendulums, Electricity, and Magnetism, with my 4th grader. The Pendulums unit had math that was above his level so we just skipped those lessons. We also had a hard time getting some of the divers to work in the Buoyancy unit. I have one more to do this year that we never got around to last year...Perfect Balance. I didn't get any more for this year yet, as we are starting out with an Oceanography Unit. I do plan to use more of their units in the future.

I like the layout of the new website.