Menu

Looking for good secular Art curriculum for a 13yo boy, Any idea?

shalom22

My ds has expressed a desire to do art. Mainly he is wanting to learn how to draw. He is very interested in writing computer games and would like to be able to do the art work.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a secular art course that would carry him through highschool as well?

"Drawing from the right side of the brain" is pretty interesting. You can also get those how to draw 50 (insert subject here) books out of the library. There is a good book on cartooning called "Making Comics". There is actually a book that I got out of the library that my husband thought was really good (and used a part of it in his drawing class that he teaches) called "How to draw Star Wars".

Are there any available drawing classes in your area? I think that translating and trying to figure out drawing from a book is actually quite difficult (and I come from a family of artists). It might be best to find a small class and invest in it, once he gets some basic stuff down, it is all about practice, practice, practice. It takes a LONG time to really be able to get it from your eyes, through brain, out to hand and be reasonably good at it.

good luck!