Menu

Will you take a look at our 1st grade plans?

Phonics: Begin with ETC 2 and work forward

Reading: Level 1 & 2 readers from the library

Handwriting: HWOT

Math: Saxon 1

Science: Reading selections and experiments from Apologia Zoology III and/or corresponding library books, notebooking

History/Literature/Geography/Fine Arts/Church History: SOTW + AG, books listed in TOG, notebooking

Copywork/Dictation: Various selections

PE: Gymnastics (1 hour/week), biking and swimming with family

Looks good to me. Is your dc reading well already? I love ETC books, but they were not enough alone for my dc. If the child needs more phonics, I'd add that. If they are already reading well, I'd look at AAS.

Now, you could beef up the ETC with the TM and flashcards for all the old spelling rules, but I just don't feel like there is enough review in ETC without some modification. I would also add phonogram flashcards until they are completely automatic. I think ETC actually has some of those, but I've never seen them. You may have been planning to do that all along.

JMHO

Thanks for the input!

I have a large stash of flash cards and we use them and play phonics games fairly often. My ds is working his way through the stash of Level 1 readers at the library with little trouble and he's starting to read signs when we are out and about!

I'll add in the narrations a few days a week and I think we will be all set! Thanks again.