Menu

Logic stage archaeology and anthropology units -- anyone done this?

nmoira

Just seeing if I can get away without having to re-invent the wheel. :)

I'm not interested in a hands-on units at this point... rather more something of an engaging overview and the telling of the "story" of the disciplines.

Moira, what exactly are you looking for? I am starting our study of the ancients this year with a 2 week study of the Origins of Man. I call it that for lack of a better term. I will be using a couple of books from the library like Extreme Careers in Archaeology and the Kingfisher Knowledge Archaeology.

I am hoping to use The Early Human World for the anthropology portion. I don't have a lot of time, so we are just going for the basics. Rats. I just re-read your post. You want to look at the disciplines themselves (ie History of Mathematics) rather than actual content, right? Will this be a science course?

You want to look at the disciplines themselves (ie History of Mathematics) rather than actual content, right? Will this be a science course?
Kinda, but with some content, and multidisciplinary. How's that for precise? :tongue_smilie: But since my idea of what I'd like is still forming, I cannot give a better description.

There's a fairly new series of books out by National Geographic that I like, although they are not just about the science, itself. Here are the titles:

Ancient Africa: Archaeology Unlocks the Secrets of Africa's Past, Victoria Sherrow

Ancient Celts: Arch......, Jen Green

Ancient China: Arch...., Jacqueline Ball

Ancient Egypt: Arch...., Jill Rubalcaba

Ancient Greece: Arch...., Marni McGee

Ancient Inca: Arch...., Beth Gruber

Ancient India: Arch...., Anita Dalal

Ancient Iraq: Arch...., Beth Gruber

Ancient Maya: Arch...., Nathaniel Harris

Ancient Pueblo: Arch...., Anita Croy

Ancient Rome: Arch...., Zilah Decker

And for some reason, they have a similar book, but apparently not part of this series, called National Geographic Investigates Ancient Aztec: Archaeology Unlocks the Secrets of Mexico's Past, Tim Cooke

I also like Archaeology for Kids, Richard Panchyk - which is an activity book.

Magic School Bus has a book about Archaeology, don't know if you'd be interested in that approach....

Stones, Bones, and Petroglyphs: Digging into Southwest Archaeology, Susan E. Goodman

Most all 'round info: The Young Oxford Book of Archaeology, Norah Moloney

With anthropology, you generally get definition into cultural and physical. Specific study of ancient Greece and Rome will generally be defined as classical studies, apart from the rest of archaeology and anthropology studies.

Forensics is huge today within the realm of physical anthropology, eclipsing primate studies, although you may still find some books on primate research scattered about. There are tons of books and other programming for kids now regarding forensics.

Within the realm of cultural anthropology, you may find subdivisions such as medical anthropology, the study of medicinal plants and their uses by various cultures.

Websites:

Anthropology on the Internet for K-12

http://www.sil.si.edu/SILPublications/Anthropology-K12/

Anthropology

http://www.kidsturncentral.com/links/anthropologylinks.htm

Archaeology and Anthropology

http://www.giftedkids.ie/archeology.html

Anthropology Activities and Lesson Plans

http://www.museum.state.il.us/ismdepts/anthro/activities.html