Menu

Applying TWTM 7th grade reading list to 5th grader

Chris in SC

Looking at both difficulty and content, what titles from TWTM 7th grade reading list would you reccomend for a 5th grader who reads very well?

We started the history cycle in 3rd grade so we are studying early-modern titles this year. Any comments on the list below? I am going to omit Pride and Prejudice. Please help! What are definate keepers and what should I drop?

Booklist:

• Don Quixote abridged
  • Perrault’s Complete Fairy Tales
  • Gulliver’s Travels “A Vilage to Lilliput†and “ A Vouage to Brobdingnagâ€
  • The Pilgrim’s Progress
  • Robinson Crusoe
  • William Wordsworth:

We are Seven

Lines Written in Early Spring

Composed a Few Miles above Tintern Abbey

Lucy Gray

Composed upon Westminster Bridge

September 3, 1802

I Wandered Lonely on a Cloud

• The Rime of the Ancient Mariner
  • The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle
  • The Pied Peper of Hamelin
  • Grimm’s Fairy Tales
  • Benjamin Franklin: The Way to Wealth
  • Christina Rosetti: Goblin Market; A Birthday; Sister Maude; No, Thank You, John
  • Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland
  • Pride and Prejudice
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer
  • 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
  • A Christmas Carol
  • The Lady of shallot and The Charge of the Light Brigade
  • The Raven
  • East O the Sun and West O the Moon
  • Narrative of Life in Frederick Douglass an American Slave

If it were me, I would keep:

Perrault's & Grimm's Fairy Tales

Pilgrim's Progress (I would probably assign Little Pilgrim's Progress to a 5th grader, not the original)

Robinson Crusoe (maybe? My dd read it in 5th grade, but it was slow going)

All the Wordsworth poetry

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle

Christina Rosetti: Goblin Market; A Birthday; Sister Maude; No, Thank You, John

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea

The Lady of shallot and The Charge of the Light Brigade

The Raven

I think that would be plenty for a fifth grader who is a very strong reader. Maybe even cut a couple of those.

Have to go to football 3 minutes ago ---

but, I did the fairy tales as read-alouds with a 7th and 4th grader (15 minutes or so daily throughout the year).

I'll try to track down specific recs later - I remember Usborne had a great version of Don Quixote.

Well....

If your 5th grader is a really good reader, then maybe my suggestions will be off! But, I'll tell you what worked and didn't for my sons - they were 4th and 7th at the time. My kids are pretty average, so maybe what worked for my 7th grader will be helpful to you.

We did all the fairy tales as a part of morning Read Aloud time. We also did all the poetry as Read Alouds, and interspersed the poetry amongst the novels - which meant we did the fairy tales and poetry out of order, but it was a good way to break up the year.

Booklist:

Don Quixote abridged - 7th gr used Usborne version/4th gr used rec in 7th grade list

Perrault’s Complete Fairy Tales - Read Aloud -

Gulliver’s Travels “A Vilage to Lilliput†and “ A Vouage to Brobdingnag†- 7th gr used this version when the real one got to be too much. I found it at our library

The Pilgrim’s Progress 4th gr used Dangerous Journey/7th gr used rec version

Robinson Crusoe both used this version. There is a Teacher's Guide as well.

William Wordsworth: - we did this together. not our fave, but I used WEM to help me

We are Seven

Lines Written in Early Spring

Composed a Few Miles above Tintern Abbey

Lucy Gray

Composed upon Westminster Bridge

September 3, 1802

I Wandered Lonely on a Cloud - the best of the group. We used this for memory work

The Rime of the Ancient Mariner skipped. too much here to explore - it'll wait til high school

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and Rip Van Winkle 4th gr read abridged, but you'll probably be ok. even the abridged version was *very* close to the original.

The Pied Peper of Hamelin found a picture book at the libary & read aloud.

Grimm’s Fairy Tales part of our Read Aloud time

Benjamin Franklin: The Way to Wealth 7th grader enjoyed. 4th grader did not do. Not hard reading, but very preachy.

Christina Rosetti: Goblin Market; A Birthday; Sister Maude; No, Thank You, John OK. Probably better for girls than boys. (Sorry! - mo)

Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland 7th gr was fine with this/4th grade read abridged - but, again, the abridged was very close to the original. I don't think either of them "got" all that was there, but that's ok.

Pride and Prejudice skipped

The Adventures of Tom Sawyer loved it. 4th gr read abridged & has since read the original. A strong reader will probably be fine.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea 7th gr got really bogged down (lots of scenery details!) We settled on abridged versions of this and Journey to the Center of the Earth - and watched a couple of movie versions, too.

A Christmas Carol - This is a beautiful picture book version both boys liked. 7th gr also read the original.

The Lady of shallot and The Charge of the Light Brigade - you'll be fine

The Raven - you should be ok, but my 4th grader didn't like it - of course, he didn't like all the death and supernatural stuff in any of the poems!

East O the Sun and West O the Moon - part of our morning read alouds. The language structure in this is a little tricky at first (and lots of unfamiliar words, but they're used over and over, so they become familiar quickly)

Narrative of Life in Frederick Douglass an American Slave - skipped. We read Amos Fortune as one of our history read-alouds, and we just ran out of time for this one!

Hope you have a great year!