Menu

Dumb question on Dolciani sequence

Sorry if this was covered before, but my searches didn't come up with threads that answered this question ... I am confused ... looking at the Dolciani algebra books ...

So I have a copy of Book 1 Modern Algebra Structure and Method, 1973.

Looking for the next in sequence at Amazon, I'm finding titles such as:

Algebra and Trigonometry Structure and Method

Algebra II and Trigonometry

Modern Algebra and Tigonometry Structure and Method Book 2

Algebra and Trigonometry Book 2

Modern School Mathematics Structure and Method Book 2

So many titles, so little time & money!

Which, if any, of these would you recommend investigating further to match up with the book I already have?

Help! :)

Karen

The first four are different editions of the same book, it looks like. "Modern Algebra and Tigonometry Structure and Method Book 2", was published in 1973, so that would be the best match for your Algebra I book. The last title, "Modern School Mathematics Structure and Method Book 2," is for middle/junior high school math (Grade 8).

I agree its confusing trying to figure out the different editions of the Dolciani books. What complicates things is that the earlier editions don't have ISBN's.

Hope this helps.

The first four are different editions of the same book, it looks like. "Modern Algebra and Tigonometry Structure and Method Book 2", was published in 1973, so that would be the best match for your Algebra I book. The last title, "Modern School Mathematics Structure and Method Book 2," is for middle/junior high school math (Grade 8).

I agree its confusing trying to figure out the different editions of the Dolciani books. What complicates things is that the earlier editions don't have ISBN's.

Hope this helps.

Actually, the 1965 & 1975 book 2 are called Modern Algebra, etc. I have copies of them downstairs. There was also a college Algebra by Dolciani. But the Structure & Method books are the ones you want, 1 & 2. We're doing Geometry in the middle, but by someone else.

So do you think it really matters ... I mean trying to match up my books for Alg. I and Alg. 2/Trig? Is there a functional point to that exercise? Or are the books similar enough that it doesn't really matter?

Please do tell :)

Karen

So do you think it really matters ... I mean trying to match up my books for Alg. I and Alg. 2/Trig? Is there a functional point to that exercise? Or are the books similar enough that it doesn't really matter?

Please do tell :)

Karen

I'm not sure what you mean. I think you could do one in the 1965 edition and the other in the 1970 or 1975 edition, if that's what you mean. I've looked at all 3 for the Structure & Method one. They cover the same things, just not in the same order and with some small changes. What I wouldn't do is go from one from those key years to one of the more recent versions as they're not supposed to be as good.

I now have the 1965 & 1975 editions of both levels of Structure and Method. My eldest prefers the 1965, but may have to do the newer edition for Algebra 2 because I don't know where to find a solution guide at this point. However, that's not until 2010.

Edited by Karin

Thanks, Karin, that is exactly the info I was looking for but didn't know quite how to say it -- that's a big help! :)

And the solutions -- yes, I am noticing that problem, too, sigh.

Thanks again,

Karen

Thanks, Karin, that is exactly the info I was looking for but didn't know quite how to say it -- that's a big help! :)

And the solutions -- yes, I am noticing that problem, too, sigh.

Thanks again,

Karen

If you get the 1965 Algebra 1, you can put the solution manual on a wish list at Amazon. Then keep checking. That's how I eventually got one, although before that someone copied all the odd problems. The odd problems kept us going for a long time, btw, and I am still happy to have those.

Also, while I'm at it, I have two student texts for Book Two Modern Algebra and Trigonometry Structure and Method (1973 "New Edition") with odd-numbered answers in the back.

I also have one teacher's edition of Book Two Modern Algebra and Trigonometry Structure and Method (1973 "Revised Edition") with all answers in the back.

I have NO IDEA what the difference is between the New and the Revised Edition.

I'll sell these for $35 each postpaid.

Also, while I'm at it, I have two student texts for Book Two Modern Algebra and Trigonometry Structure and Method (1973 "New Edition") with odd-numbered answers in the back.

I also have one teacher's edition of Book Two Modern Algebra and Trigonometry Structure and Method (1973 "Revised Edition") with all answers in the back.

I have NO IDEA what the difference is between the New and the Revised Edition.

I'll sell these for $35 each postpaid.

We have the 1965 & 1975 versions of Book 1. There are some differences in wording, chapter/lesson order & look. I haven't scrutinized them that closely since my dd in question learns math by reading the book.

The years 1965-1975 are the best years, so the 1973 one is a good one. We already have 2 different editions of Structure & Method 2 from that era, but only have answers for the newer one.

Karin, would you know what the difference is between the New Version and the Revised Version? The Revised Version has a green cover, and the authors are Dolciani, Berman, and Wooten. The New Version has a red cover, and the authors are Sorgenfrey, Wooton, and Dolciani. Do you (or anyone else) have any idea about why two different books would be published with the same name in the same year?

I ~think~ the books have all been spoken for. (One mom said she wanted some of the books, but I haven't heard back from her this morning. Another mom has already claimed the Algebra 1 set.)

Karin, would you know what the difference is between the New Version and the Revised Version? The Revised Version has a green cover, and the authors are Dolciani, Berman, and Wooten. The New Version has a red cover, and the authors are Sorgenfrey, Wooton, and Dolciani. Do you (or anyone else) have any idea about why two different books would be published with the same name in the same year?

I ~think~ the books have all been spoken for. (One mom said she wanted some of the books, but I haven't heard back from her this morning. Another mom has already claimed the Algebra 1 set.)

Actually, it turns out that for Structure and Method 2 I have the 1970 Revised version. It has the same authors as the first one, Dolciani, Berman & Wooton, as the 1965 one I have. They even have the same editorial advisor. The chapters are in the same order.

The Algebra 1 books I have from 1965 and 1975 have different chapter orders, though, but I have mistakenly thought I had the 1975 2 one due to the cover being so much like the 1975 1, although different colours.