Menu

50th Anniversary gift for ILs

My ILs celebrate 50 years in a couple of weeks. :hurray:

I have no idea what my dh and I should do for them.

What I really want to do, a family portrait (of children and grandchildren), can't happen. :( Neither of dh's siblings can chip in $ (and right now we're not in a position to be able to either) plus, it's hard to do when SIL is hardly speaking to her parents (and hasn't offered to do a single thing to help with this anniversary party....I vent and digress).

So what should we do?

The only idea I've had is to get a pretty vase and do some glass etching. Maybe their monogram with "Est. 1959" on it or something like that. A glass teapot to do that on would be absolutely perfect as MIL collects teapots.

Other than that I have absolutely no idea.

Are you any good with a photo editing and/or video program?

You could put together a "retrospective" of their marriage - current events through the decades, photos of the kids as they came along, houses, etc.

This may take more time than you have, but maybe it will spark an idea?

Best wishes!

For my IL's 50th, I videotaped all of the siblingsindividually w/their families (wiggly kids and all) wishing HA and recalling a fav memory or whatever else they wanted to say. We faded in and out family photos over the 50 yrs inbetween the 'testimonies'. There was not a dry eye in the house. We set it up at the ani party for causal viewing through the afternoon.

You could put together a "retrospective" of their marriage - current events through the decades, photos of the kids as they came along, houses, etc.

They are doing a slideshow at the party. MIL has boxes of family photos she's been going through. Although, she hasn't asked for any that we have of grandkids or family. *shrug*

I videotaped all of the siblingsindividually w/their families (wiggly kids and all) wishing HA and recalling a fav memory or whatever else they wanted to say.

Great idea. But I doubt it would go over well with the SIL. Again...she isn't on the best speaking terms with her parents right now. And I don't really have time to get with every single one of the other family members.

Anything involving gathering family members to do something like these ideas just isn't going to happen unfortunately. I'm really looking more for a keepsake or something tangible like that. MIL is really into that kind of thing. Something that can be handed down through the family. She has a gold tea set that was given to her grandparents at their 50th anniversary. They are planning to display that at the party. :) And I've already been told that it will be given to my dh and I since we "are the only other ones in the family who will make it to 50 years". So it's stuff like that that she really enjoys.

We couldn't get back for my IL's 50th, so SIL was sent down to "spy" on MIL's address book. SIL took photos of it and I used the names and adresses inn it to ask everyone to write down their favorite memory of the celebrating couple and return the memories and anniversary cards to me. I then UPSed the memories with a scrapbook and the money for an anniversary trip. They really enjoyed the memories.

I believe the church also put on a anniversery party for them.