Menu

Compare Saxon 3 and Rightstart C please

annette4

My son used Singapore in ps for 2nd grade and struggled with some of it. He is slow on his basic facts so I thought Saxon would be good for this. However, I like the way that Rightstart teaches concepts and the mental math - not so crazy about the time that I would need to spend playing games with him. What to do?

i can't say about right start but keep in mind that with saxon for the k-3 there is a fair amount of teacher involvement and if he is a slow worker/thinker you could be spending 45 minutes easily every day. the meeting book, review, page of math facts to do, plus the lesson.

I have not used Saxon, but on Monday I was at my friend's house and spent about 45 minutes looking through the Saxon 3 materials. I was very surprised by the amount of teacher involvement, and, in my opinion, Saxon 3 requires as much time as I spend with my kids on Right Start. And if you play one RS card game a day, you're only spending 10 minutes on that game, so it's really not a burden.

Tara

i just would say that Rightstart has been such a GREAT fit for our family ... and i'm on to schooling my second child with it (starting back in A), who is a VERY different learner. i love the freedom - structure balance there is .... and the games are portable. i.e. we can have "math" at the coffee shop via playing a card game, and he feels like he's an adult playing cards .... he LOVES that!

oh, DS is finishing up B and we'll do C as the second part of our 1st grade year .... and he's NOT a math whiz ....

my $.02

i don't have any experience with Saxon.

I am feeling a bit insecure about my ds and math, and so was thinking Saxon. But am thinking the Rightstart C will be a better fit for him and I will just be sure to spend enough time on those basic facts so that he feels confident with math again. He will like the abacus and the games.

My opinion of RightStart, having experience with three levels, is that RightStart is advanced but moves slowly, if that makes any sense. By that I mean that kids gain quite advanced skills in thinking about and manipulating numbers, but there is a LOT of review and some things, such as subtraction, are not introduced as early as other programs introduce them. I wouldn't worry overly much about math facts. I have a very mathy kid and a very non-mathy kid and, while my mathy kid has certainly learned her math facts, my non-mathy kid is definitely getting enough review and practice.

Tara

I wouldn't worry overly much about math facts. I have a very mathy kid and a very non-mathy kid and, while my mathy kid has certainly learned her math facts, my non-mathy kid is definitely getting enough review and practice.

I used to think this way, too, but knowing their math facts *really well* makes a big difference when they hit Pre-Algebra, and when doing standardized testing.

Both are equally as important, IMO. :coolgleamA:

Well, yes, of course math facts need to be automatic. But what I meant was that I wouldn't worry overly much about RightStart having enough math facts practice. I find that RS has an outstanding amount of practice with math facts.

Tara

I think Right Start is so much more *fun* than Saxon! We only used Saxon for kindergarten, but I was considering using it again this year with my 5th grader (because she's finished Right Start E) and I just don't think I can do it. It's so dry. When we switched to Right Start my DD began to actually like math again. We play the games, but to be honest, not nearly as much as we could/should have, and she still has done very well with Right Start.

Well, yes, of course math facts need to be automatic. But what I meant was that I wouldn't worry overly much about RightStart having enough math facts practice. I find that RS has an outstanding amount of practice with math facts.

Tara

Gotcha. :001_smile: