Menu

Help... CWP 2 Question

susie in tx

My dd is using CWP 2 to work on story problems. Today, she is working on the following problem, and I can't figure out how to help her draw the diagrams to figure it out.

Jug P and Jug Q have 34 l of oil altogether. If Jug P has 8 l of oil less than Jug Q, how much oil does Jug Q have?

She generally has quite a bit of trouble with these, and I'm only able to solve them with algebra.

TIA,

My dd is using CWP 2 to work on story problems. Today, she is working on the following problem, and I can't figure out how to help her draw the diagrams to figure it out.

Jug P and Jug Q have 34 l of oil altogether. If Jug P has 8 l of oil less than Jug Q, how much oil does Jug Q have?

This is a very importance concept...You need to emphasize that both have the same amount up until some point. So, you draw two bars the same

Jug P |------|

Jug Q |------| |-8-| } 34

Then, one jug has more (in this case jug Q has 8 MORE). So you draw the 8 more in another bar.

Now you student can see that |------|------|--8--| =34

So, you subtract 8 and divide the remainder by the equal number of units you have left.

She generally has quite a bit of trouble with these, and I'm only able to solve them with algebra.

TIA,

k

Thanks Nutmeg and Nick's Mama for the help. I was able to explain it better to her. She generally has trouble with this particular type of problem and with your explanations, I am hopeful that she has a better grasp on them.

I'm worried! Should I start her with CWP 1? I'm a non-math mom and problems like the one you mentioned would trip me up-are they all like that? She's been doing Evan Moor Daily Word Problems 2 (along with RS C) and the problems are much easier than that.

Most of them are much easier than this, though there are quite a bit of them. She usually just does the challenging problems because the regular problems are mostly busy work for her. However, she does have this issue with this particular type of problem and I haven't explained it well in the past. I thought I had, but I hadn't. FWIW, she's 9 and working through Rightstart Level D. She doesn't find Level D to be particularly challenging.

I think I will get CWP 1 AND also 2. Then I can see which is the right level. If 1 is too easy, upcoming ds5 can use it eventually. I always like to have a word problems book alongside whatever we're doing, just to make sure application of concepts is happening. Thank you!