Menu

AP Courses - I'm feeling torn...

I have a dd who will begin 11th grade this fall. (We've homeschooled 5 years now, and there are 2 younger ones in middle school, so my questions apply to them as well).

My plan was to make use of our dual enrollment program for these last 2 years.

She is enrolled in 2 classes this fall, however our state is putting the whole thing on the chopping block and it is looking bleak right now, although we don't know the final outcome of the budget cutting decisions yet. It may well be that we lose those classes.

I am trying to be prepared, and to look at alternate ways to make the best use of her time in hs. It looks like AP exams may be a good choice.

I am torn though over choosing curriculum. I had planned for her to take BJU Geography this year, and next year to take Notgrass Government and some sort of Economics.

Now as I research the AP option, it is looking like Geography and Government would be 2 of the easier exams, and it seems a waste to not take advantage of them.

However, it means giving up the familiar curriculum and delving into a more secular plan. Comments about the political correctness of certain books (for example, Harm J. de Blij - Human Geography, otherwise highly recommended, has been described this way) have me concerned.

I have looked forward to using the Notgrass Government, but I don't believe it would measure up to the AP standards. I'm thinking we would be changing perspectives if we were to switch to any of the recommended texts - American Government by Wilson and DiIulio for one.

I feel like one reason we homeschool is because we are rejecting the public school teaching perspective, but now we'd be using texts that are endorsed by those same schools. I am not prepared to be that counter-balance to political correctness I am expecting to abound in some of the materials out there. Although we have frequent and lengthy discussions on topics that come up, I think I'd be back-peddling in some ways.

Are my fears unfounded? Or is there anyone else conflicted in this way?

In order to prepare for the AP exams, it is best for a student to use a variety of texts. It is good practice for a discerning student to read and weigh the information on both sides of an issue. I think if I were going to put my dd through AP exams, I'd definitely buy (1) the recommended text, (2) the text(s) we preferred, (3) one or two test prep books, and (4) as much primary source material as she could handle.

Ironically, by "conforming" to the testing procedures of the ACT, AP, and SAT/SAT IIs, we force our students to learn similar information to their PS counterparts. I think where the real advantages are in hsing are the methods of delivery (the student reads, thinks and learns by careful reading vs. information sieved and delivered by an authoritarian instructor) and in the parental involvement in the "dinner table" conversations.

So many American teens go to school, receive instruction (partial instruction, since books and materials are rarely covered in their entirety), are told what is important by teacher's emphasis and assessment, and then just accept it. Families assume they are learning "the truth" at school, and don't delve into academic material with them. Even good parents spend their parenting hours managing behavior and activities outside of school, but rarely decipher what their students believe about democracy, American government and its responsibilities and limitations, the role of the citizen, etc. I remember my outrage when I brought home my then-12yo dd, and realized that despite her active-duty military family, and her K-6 PS education, she wasn't really sure what happened on July 4, 1776 to cause us to have fireworks each year! (Boy, did I feel like a dupe for trusting the PS was "handling" that side of her education.)

It is an *awesome* responsibility, however. I'm a classroom teacher again now, and I just cringe sometimes about the material I don't have time to cover, or the cursory attention we have to give to topics that a diligent student could get lost in for weeks. :) I am extremely fortunate that I teach in a classical Christian school that affords me the opportunity to emphasize the depth of material and not just the breadth, and limits my class sizes to very managable numbers. I know there are great PS teachers out there who also fret about their academic responsibility to their students...but they are also overworked and overburdened with PS regulations, and there is only so much one person can do.

Anyway, I do think your fears are somewhat unfounded, simply because you *have* them. The more you worry about these things, and work to overcome them, the less you have to worry about.

Guest Barb B

I feel like one reason we homeschool is because we are rejecting the public school teaching perspective, but now we'd be using texts that are endorsed by those same schools. I am not prepared to be that counter-balance to political correctness I am expecting to abound in some of the materials out there. Although we have frequent and lengthy discussions on topics that come up, I think I'd be back-peddling in some ways.

Several thoughts, Our local dual credit programs aren't very good and no better then the public schools. That said, yours could be different. It is just my experience that the classes adn teachers here are very liberal not christian, pro abortion and on and on. . . .and not what I would call challanging. We didn't go that route for the same fears you have about your text book choices - this is not why I choose to homeschool! Also, simply because you dd will take an AP exam doen't mean that she has to read the same AP texts that the ps kids do. You can use the texts you would like and if needed supplement with extra materials near the exam to study for it.

Barb

I was talking to an administrator at a local state U this past week about their Honors College and she was relived to learn that ds has and will be in AP classes instead of dual enrollment. Something about AP they could grant credit and dual enrollment they would not? Since ds was unimpressed* with the school I did not pursue the matter, but if your are thinking of any particular colleges for your kidlet you might as well check with them to see which they would prefer - dual enrollment or AP.

* 8 hours total time int he car that day just to end up crossing a school OFF his list.

My daughter took classes at a community college AND self-studied for AP biology this year. She came away with 4 A's from CC and learned very little. In her western civ class, the instructor actually gave take-home tests and didn't even require a textbook. :blink: (I bought her one anyway and made her read it.) However, she studied a LOT for the biology course, learned a ton, and felt fantastic when she got her score. She found it was a much better use of her time. (Her words, not mine) This year she plans to self-study for three AP courses....she can retain freshmen status and be eligible for scholarships, yet earn college credit. (Her Bio score earned her 8 credits at a local university.) She also learns to REALLY study, BEFORE she gets to college. (Wish I had) One more thing to think about. When our kids get to college, they'll be using those texts anyway. In my dd biology text, considered the AP 'bible', evolution was treated as undisputed, proven, gospel on practically every page. We had many conversations, led by dd, about her thoughts on it. I'm grateful that she had the opportunity to encounter this now while she could discuss her ideas and remain an independent thinker. I think that's the main goal. She learned the material, got the score she needed, and wasn't brainwashed.

Forgive me if this is a retarded question, but I am still learning about all this stuff, how does one who is homeschooled take the AP test? I thought that was something only offered in the school?

It's not a foolish question at all. Yes, homeschoolers can take AP tests; however, they need to find a school which will permit them to do so. (Public schools are not obligated to allow other students to take exams on their property [in most cases]. Many homeschoolers have success taking AP tests at private schools.) There was a thread on this recently; if you read back through the last week's posts, I believe you'll find it.

Regards,

Kareni