Menu

How does one use HST Plus AND get kids

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but what I'm going to do this year is put all of my assignments as given & due on the Monday of a given week. Then I'll print an assignment report to give my kids on Monday, and take it up on Friday to see that they've completed everything. They'll be responsible for being sure they get everything completed.

This is the plan I'll use for our TOG assignments, anyway. I'm not sure yet how I'll accomplish this with math and programs that they just "do the next thing" every day.

That's pretty much what we did last year as well - using TOG also. I put all the assignments to show up on Monday, but they had to complete the history ones by Wed. for history discussion and the lit ones by Friday for lit discussion. They also had to record on their assignment sheets which days they did the work and how long it took, so I could record all that at the end of the week. For things like math or other subjects with daily work, I just put one assignment on each day. It was very helpful to have one place to look at the end of the week to check and make sure everything got done - for them and for me.

I've been thinking of this also. I tried to use this 2 years ago but my kids (and I) didn't like the way it printed out... we all preferred my simple spreadsheets. However I think they've changed their printing so I'm tempted to try again. Besides with one going into high school, this will help to keep track of grades.

If I remember correctly, I think you can set up a login for the kids to update which assignments they completed... now I'm not sure if I want that or for them to mark a sheet of paper and then me updating the database... but I thought I'd mention it to see if anyone else used this feature.

You can enter how many days the student has to complete an assignment. Many things were assigned on Monday and due on Friday. To help ds plan I gave him a grid with the days of the week across the top and the subjects listed down the side. On Monday he would fill in the grid to plan out what days he would do what. Mid-week he would check in with me. If he was on target to finish on Friday then he would receive praise. If not, he would compromise his end of the week or weekend social activities. Did he whine if he had an especially tough week? Yes. Did he give up activities and still have late work? Yes. Is he learning time management? I hope so.