Menu

Similar to Writing Tales for 8th Grader

1shortmomto4

My dd has enjoyed using the Queen Language Art books although I wasn't impressed but it seemed to get the job done. She does very well without getting easily overwhelmed in writing in this Charlotte Mason style. Is there another program out there that would be more geared towards writing like this? I have Writing Tales Level 1 for a younger child and love that style and I think she'd enjoy it too, but obviously WT is too young. Any ideas? Are there grammar programs out there in that CM style, too? I have WriteShop on the shelf and have been considering IEW SWI B but still on the fence and looking at options.....

Any and all ideas would be graciously appreciated.

I would suggest Story Starters by Karen Andreola as it seems to be a great way to get oodles of writing on paper. My kids are loving it.

I also would recommend having her write narrations on short stories (like Hans Christian Anderson or Grimms). My kids do much better with writing stories that are easy to narrate.

If you want a simple grammar program I would suggest two things: Rod and Staff orally or www.grammarandmore.com . The Hands-on sentences game is really neat. I have this on the back burner for down the road. I go very slowly with R&S (two or three lessson a week) and writing/narration the rest of the week. I suggest dictation every day too, either taken from books or Spelling Wisdom by www.simplycharlottemason.com SW goes all the way through 12th grade and is very thorough.